Thanksgiving around the world: How holiday is celebrated in other countries

By Alex Maravillas

Thanksgiving is formally known as an American occasion, yet it is celebrated in other countries

as well.

Here are a few ways different societies honor Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Day in Canada started in 1578, when voyager Martin Frobisher held a function

in Newfoundland to express gratefulness to God. This festival is the most homogeneous to

the American Thanksgiving, actually emphasizing large portions of the same sustenances and

psalms.

The related characteristics stem from the American Revolution, when numerous Americans who

stayed devoted to England peregrinate to Canada, bringing their American traditions with them.

The harvest season in Canada is in October, therefore Thanksgiving is celebrated in October

instead of November and on Monday rather than Thursday.

The Vietnamese also commend a harvest time celebration amid mid-August. Their celebration

is called Têt-Trung-Thu (tet-troong-thoo) or the Mid-Autumn Festival. It is also called the

Children’s Festival where numerous practices are organized for young people.

As indicated by Vietnamese fables, older folks would demonstrate their affection and

thankfulness for their kids at the Mid-Autumn celebration. One prominent movement is a

candlelit light parade at day break, frequently with lights the kids make themselves. The lights

speak through a bright luminosity while the parade itself flourishes through the streets.

The Chinese harvest celebration is called Chung Ch’ui or the August Moon Festival. It is praised

in mid-August. In this three-day festival, Chinese families commend the discontinuance of the

harvest season with a sizable gala offering cooked pig and mooncakes.

These palm-sized round cakes symbolize family solidarity and flawlessness. Chinese individuals

offer mooncakes to their companions and relatives as a way to express gratefulness.

Legend has it that amid wartime, the Chinese hide mystery messages in mooncakes that had

capability to ruin their adversaries.

In Korea, they also praise the harvest and celebrate in August. The Korean celebration is called

Chusok. Families get together and consume unique rice cakes made out of rice, beans, sesame

seeds and chestnuts. They also visit the tombs of their ancestors as part of harvest tradition.

In Ghana and Nigeria the Yam Festival is celebrated in light of the fact that yams are not the

most remarkable type nourishment in numerous African nations and are the first product to be

reaped.

Southern India commences the harvest celebration called Pongal in January of every year.

Named after a saccharine rice dish, the dining experience consists of gatherings with neighbors

where individuals express gratefulness to everybody who helped yield a prosperous harvest.

The archaic Greeks, Romans, Hebrews and Egyptians all held harvest celebrations and

thanksgiving festivals as well. These festivals propagate today in sundry structures.

Jewish families celebrate with a seven-day harvest time harvest celebration called Sukkoth.

Sukkoth honors how God watched over Moses and the Hebrew individuals as they meandered in

the desert for a long time before entering the Promised Land.

Amid Sukkoth, families assemble hovels out of limbs and foliage. Inside the hovels, they hang

food grown from the ground such as grapes, corn and pomegranates. An exceptional service is

held every day to remember their Hebrew ancestors and to thank God for the harvest. Families

consume in the hovel during the evening and spend the night as well.

Although Thanksgiving is celebrated differently around the world, it remains a time of

celebration and togetherness.