Professor Berman: Teaching the art of filmmaking to CSUSM students

By Anthony Trevino

Professor Jonathan Berman is a well-known independent filmmaker that divides his time

between helping foster the creativity of his film students and working tirelessly on his own films

that focus on taking the viewer on a journey to places the average person may never see.

Professor Berman started his film education early and drew inspiration from his childhood.

“As kids we had bands when we were like 13, and around the same time we were also making

movies,” Professor Berman said. “Home movies on super 8 film, which was all the rage back

then, and you’d get the little three minute reel and we’d shoot Karate epics or gangster films.”

After graduating from McGill University in Montreal with his BA, Professor Berman began

working as an Assistant Film Editor for various independent film companies such as Troma

Entertainment, best known for such flicks as The Toxic Avenger (1984) and Terror Firmer

(1999).

Following his early work at Troma, Professor Berman went on to direct three documentary films:

The Shvitz (1993), My Friend Paul (1999) and Commune (2005).

Professor Berman came to CSUSM in 2004 after answering an ad for a job in the

Communications department.

“I liked the idea of being able to teach at a public school,” Professor Berman said.

In between a busy schedule as one of the university’s Associate Professors, he’s nearing

completion on his fourth film People of Earth, which is an in-depth look at the influence George

Van Tassel, his mysterious death and the infamous Integratron—a machine that supposedly

functions as both a healing device and time machine—have had on the residents of Joshua Tree.

Professor Berman’s films are about taking the audience to places that exist in reality, but still

allowing them to feel as if they’re watching a traditional narrative.

“I want them to go on a ride and feel like they watched a fiction film,” Professor Berman said.

When asked if he had any advice for young filmmakers and students, Professor Berman

answered with a very thoughtful and inspiring piece of advice:

“If you want to make stuff, learn how to effectively use storytelling to prove a point, to persuade

people,” he said. “Express your emotional disposition, your belief system and be a modern

citizen who has the power to use media to make change.”