DROPPING THIS WEEK

BY ASHLEY DAY

CDs

Kid Cudi- Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager – G.O.O.D./Dream On/Universal

Scott Mescudi a.k.a. “Kid Cudi” released his second full-length album, Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager, last Tuesday. Kid Cudi’s first full length album, Man on the Moon: The End of Day, sold over 500,000 copies thus far. With his second album, Cudi picks up where his debut album left off, this time dealing with fame’s downside, where Cudi meets his evil alter ego, Mr. Rager. Whereas The End of Day was about Cudi’s journey to fame, The Legend of Mr. Rager explores darker schemes of life. The first single off The Legend of Mr. Rager is “Erase Me” featuring Kanye West.

Hellogoodbye- Would It Kill You?- Rocket Science/Wasted Summer

Forrest Kline is like a phoenix rose out of its ashes. Kline, the singer and founder of Hellogoodbye, dealt with numerous lineup changes and stands as the remaining original member of the band. After a lawsuit against their previous record company, Drive Thru records, and a few more lineup changes, Hellogoodbye is ready to start fresh with their second full-length album, Would It Kill You? The first single off the album is titled “Getting Old,” but it does not stay true to its name. The song is as infectious as the band’s 2006 chart topper “Here (In Your Arms)” from Hellogoodbye’s first full length Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!.  The new album is sure to propel the band to the charts again.

DVDs

Charlie St. Cloud – (PG-13)

Burr Steers directs an adaptation of Ben Sherwood’s novel, The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud. The title character Charlie St. Cloud (Zac Efron) loves sailing, baseball and his younger brother, Sam. Charlie graduates and has a college career ahead of him, until he and Sam get into a fatal car accident. Charlie and Sam die at the scene, but Charlie is brought back to life in the ambulance. He decides to dedicate his life to a promise he made to Sam about teaching Sam how to play baseball. Throughout five years of his life, Charlie stays in a world of solitude, until he meets Tess (Amanda Crew). In the end, Charlie must decide between what could have been and what is.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World – (PG-13)

Based on the graphic novel series Scott Pilgrim, by Bryan Lee O’Malley, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World captures the trials and tribulations of Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera). Cera once again plays a geeky musician (bass player) that endures relationship troubles. Pilgrim seems to go through women, until he meets Ramona (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). In order to win a date with Ramona, Pilgrim must fight her “seven evil exes.” The comedy film borders on the surreal side, but is cute and quirky. It is sure to be a cult classic. The DVD/Blu-ray features an alternate ending option.