Movie Review: Ringing in the new year with “The Wedding Ringer”

By Lexy Perez

Arts and Entertainment Assistant

RATING: 4/5 paws

Do you remember when Will Smith and Kevin James made us believe in the power of an unlikely bromance being epic in their movie “Hitch?” How about when Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill proved that the story of two men exemplifying a comedic, yet dysfunctional friendship could be something worth watching on the big screen for almost two hours?

It’s a new year, which means the next “bromanctic” duo enters the movie theater screens. This new duo hopes to get a chuckle out of anyone willing to see a story that has been told in previous films, but is the first one to reinvent it for a new year.

Popular stand-up comedian Kevin James and Josh Gad (the man behind the voice of Olaf in “Frozen”) star in “The Wedding Ringer,” a film about two guys that are nothing alike, yet find an unlikely bond that screams “sappy, bromance” level friendship.

Following the same, generic formula of a comedic, male duo flick, Doug (Gad) is a lonely, yet wealthy outcast failing to be the “cool guy” every male wants to be friends with. Surprisingly enough, he is about to marry his “miracle girl,” Gretchen (Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting) but is faced with a predicament of not having a best man or a posse of groomsmen to stand beside him on his wedding day.

Enter Jimmy (Hart), the man behind Best Man Inc., a business that allows lonely men, like Doug, to rent-a-best-man for their wedding days.

While most men simply need a best man, Jimmy is forced to attempt “The Golden Tux” for Doug, in which he must provide full-service treatment: acquiring groomsmen, throwing a bachelor party, making speeches and creating stories that convincingly portray fake life-long friendships with all of them. Jimmy not only searches for a group of eligible groomsmen, but also must make them be the “best friends” Doug has always had and never introduced to his bride-to-be.

It’s not that hard to assume what the rest of the movie will play out: dysfunctional moments bonding with Doug’s future in-laws, the introduction and bonding with his “best friends” and nonstop comedic banter and occurrences while Jimmy attempts to teach Doug how to be the “cool guy” he always dreamed of being.

A bromance movie wouldn’t be complete without the deep, cheesy bonding moments that exemplify a once client-businessman relationship to a blossoming friendship that allows both Doug and Jimmy to grow as individuals. Doug progresses into becoming someone he feels happier with, while Jimmy realizes the true importance and meaning of his business and himself as a “best man.”

While the film is just another story to add to the already list of “unlikely duos becoming the best of friends” films, it is both Hart’s and Gad’s comedic wit that makes the film.

Throughout the film, it seems as if Hart successfully brings out the comedic chops of Gad, for he is a newcomer acting alongside an already established comedian. While a newcomer, Gad successfully brought out Hart’s sweet side, representing a deeper, more relatable character.

This film will not only bring you laughs, but it’s also another film that portrays two guys whom you can’t help but root for as they become genuine best friends.