Student Health and Counseling Services makes return to campus

Jasmine Demers, News Editor

CSUSM is celebrating the return of a campus organization that is dedicated to raising awareness for issues concerning student health, and providing services that promote the strength and well-being of the student community.

Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) was welcomed back to CSUSM on Jan. 22 as a kick-start to the spring semester. A ribbon cutting ceremony was held during U-hour for the Grand Opening, and guided tours were offered to those who wanted to explore this new addition to campus. The organization itself has been located off campus at the Palomar Health Center since 1997, and many would say that the homecoming was long overdue.

Karen Nicholson, the Medical Director at SHCS, has been working for CSUSM since June of 1996, and has been a crucial advocate for the transition back to campus. Dr. Nicholson emphasizes the benefits that she believes the new location will bring to the student community.

“The big takeaway from being back on campus is now that we have student housing, a larger campus population and are closely located to the student union at the heart of the campus, the accessibility will increase tremendously,” Nicholson said.

Dr. Nicholson also describes the many different services that SHCS offers and explains her desire for students to take advantage of these health care options.

“The main services that we provide are those that support students’ wellness and we take into consideration both the health side with medical care, as well as counseling, “ Nicholson said.

SHCS provides many different resources that students can utilize including routine checkups, family planning, counseling, lab care, immunizations and pharmacy services. These services are at little to no cost for students.

The HOPE and Wellness Center is also another organization and service that is offered through SHCS. Their goal is to focus on student outreach and to inform the student body of healthy lifestyle behaviors regarding issues such as sex, drugs, alcohol, mental health and nutrition.

The HOPE and Wellness Center is also home to student-run organizations that advocate for healthy lifestyles through peer education. Some of these organizations include Students Talking About Relationships and Sex (STARS) and Active Minds, a group whose purpose is to destigmatize mental illness.

Victoria Sandoval, Peer Educator and President of Active Minds, explains how she got involved in these programs and what kind of influence she thinks peer education has on students.

“I found the home of the Hope and Wellness last year (my first year) and watching how much the programs helped others motivated me to do the same,” Sandoval said. “Additionally, peer education in my opinion is very effective. We relate to our peers and are a liaison to resources that sometime our peers need but do not always want to search for alone.”

Sandoval also comments from a student’s perspective on the return of SHCS to CSUSM and the effect that she hopes it will have on the campus.

“The new SHCS Building is going to benefit the campus in so many ways. I am an RA for the UVA and I have had times where residents needed to go to the clinic but could not due to transportation issues,” Sandoval said. “The convenience of the building will allow students direct access to health services. Also I have seen that students feel more comfortable knowing that in case of an emergency… the clinic is there, accessible, and ready to help.”

Sandoval also explains how rewarding her experience has been while working as a Peer Educator and being a part of such an important campus organization.

“The whole outreach portion of the SHCS has blessed me with so many opportunities such as this one, through being apart of their amazing student team,” Sandoval said. “Everyone in the clinic inspires me in different ways being that their personal jobs all give back to the students of CSUSM in a unique way. I feel the genuine effort every staff member gives whether they are direct counselors/educators or those that work the magic behind the scenes.”

CSUSM students are encouraged to get involved and help spread awareness about health issues on campus. To learn more information about student organizations and peer education, visit http://www.csusm.edu/shcs/.

If you are a student who has questions about specific health services, would like to schedule an appointment or just want to know more about SHCS, the building is open from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Monday through Friday, or you can call (760) 750- 4915.