Alumni Feature: John Glasoe is a role model for aspiring students

By Michael Marino

Is it possible to use a degree to further both a passion in life and to land a solid job?

John Glasoe, a Temecula native and CSUSM graduate, proves that merging hobby and work life is not an impossible feat for the college graduate.

“Do something that makes you happy. Do not just look towards the money,” Glasoe said.

Equipped with a degree in Economics and an impressive resume, Glasoe was able to land his dream job, working for a golf course management company. Golf is one of his biggest passions and he knew from the start that he wanted to work in the industry.

After graduating from CSUSM in fall 2014, he wasted no time in sending out his resume. Warrior Asset Management (WAM), a golf administration company located in Irvine, Calif, granted him an interview within a month. Because of Glasoe’s outstanding resume and self-confidence, they hired him after the first interview.

Glasoe said that he knew he was going to be hired, even before walking through the door. As a retired varsity golf player and a former employee for Cross Creek Golf Course in Temecula, he felt that he was prepared to take on this new job. Glasoe said that with his combination of experience, academic achievement and lifetime interest in golf, no employer could turn him down.

Glasoe advocates gaining as much experience as possible in the workforce and in school in order to get ahead of the competition. He suggests that people “sell themselves” in order to do well in an interview. Anything that sets them apart and makes them look better than the next applicant is important to include in a resume.

“Be yourself. Find something that you actually want to do, and not just because it looks good financially. Being happy is more important than being rich,” Glasoe said.

An example of success, Glasoe and his story can prove to be encouraging to many students, especially to those who near graduation this upcoming spring.