Tips for successful semester

By Noelle Friedberg

Opinion Editor 

With the start of another semester comes the same dream of good grades and success in the classroom. One sure-fire way to help these dreams come to fruition is to talk about what you’re learning in class outside of the classroom.

By this I mean that talking about the material you’re learning in any given class outside of the classroom, be it with friends, family, coworkers, etc., will help you to do better in your classes.

Let’s say you’re in a marine biology class and you’re learning about coastal bluff erosion. If you’re not remembering all of the needed information as well as you would like, try explaining how bluff erosion occurs to someone who isn’t in the class with you. If no one wants to listen to you talk about it, try taking them to the beach and explaining it to them there so you both have a visual of the bluff and a nice excuse to visit the beach.

Or perhaps you’re in a history class and you’re trying to remember the specifics of the American Civil War. Talk with someone about it. Explain the different battles to them. Use your notes or your textbook or whatever you have to do to have a conversation with someone about the things that will be on your test, or that you have to write an essay about.

The reason I say all of this is that talking about school outside of school does so much to help you better remember and understand the concepts you need to know in order to do well in your classes.

So next time you’re feeling stuck in school or are having a hard time remembering what you’re learning, try talking with someone about what you’ve been discussing and reading in class and see if it doesn’t help you turn things around.