Student Organization Fair Depicts Diversity of Campus Groups

Collin Vaz, Features Editor

Curious minds packed the USU ballroom for the Student Organization Fair, which showcased a broad spectrum of student-led groups.

The event took place on Jan. 29 and included advocacy-focused clubs, career-oriented societies and club sports. There was something for every niche and interest to enjoy.

The new USU ballroom was an excellent venue offering plenty of room for the 70 clubs present at the event. Each organization had a desk set up with candy, fliers and sign-up sheets.

Students who attended were able to ask questions and meet members of the clubs. Each organization offered something special and unique. The Anthropology Club was especially interesting to attendees as they are in charge of the ethnobotanical garden on campus. Skulls and books full of tribal drawings were spread across their table.

The proactive Colleges Against Cancer members wore tie dye T-shirts that said, “Finish the Fight.” The club is seeking to create a “purple day” where everyone shows their support for finding a cure for cancer by donning purple colors.

The Communication Society is another ambitious club that promotes with an interest in promoting student activity. They sponsor fundraisers and social events such as feeding the homeless and coffee house meetings.

Students interested in a career in law will find good company in the Pre-Law Society. LSAT tests can be very expensive and discounts on study material as well as the tests itself are offered through membership in the group.

Anyone with intentions of making a positive change in the environment needs to look no further than the Sustainability Club. They offered recyclable polypropylene bags to students at the fair, providing awareness for the possibility of a statewide ban on plastic grocery bags in the summer.

Joining a club is a great way to meet people with similar interests and develop life-long friendships. Information on all clubs and societies are available at www.csusm.edu/orgs.