IPHONE APPS FOR BUSY STUDENTS: Taking a look at five of the most useful apps for college students

BY CHRIS GIANCAMILLI

As the iPhone’s popularity continues to grow, so does the need for apps that serve a wider variety of users. With a wealth of apps and functions, the iPhone’s role in the student life has become an extension of the laptop for some and a mere device to text friends for others. While making the most of the device’s social capabilities is important, the iPhone offers so many apps that the most useful ones for students often get overlooked.
The price of these apps ranges from free to around $10.  Although most professors won’t allow the use of phones in class, these apps can be useful outside the classroom to further enhance a student’s learning habits or change and email a text document when a laptop has been left at home. Here’s a list of the most useful apps for students on campus.

Evernote- Find yourself needing an easier way to organize short memos? Evernote is a popular app that allows the user to make a quick text note, attach a web page, record a voice memo, take a photo, or take a screenshot. The app gives you the ability to add a tag to the note, making the selection easy to find when searched for. Price: Free

JotNot Scanner Pro- The dream of scanning papers and keeping them in your pocket is now a reality with JotNot. This app detects the size and lighting of papers to maximize its visibility for later viewing. If you ever wanted to copy a page out of a library book without checking it out, JotNot makes it faster than ever. Price: $0.99

iStudiez Pro- Managing deadlines and class schedules can be a difficult task for any student. This app takes charge of the hectic student life and organizes it into an easy to navigate calendar and planner. From labs to study groups, iStudiez Pro keeps your assignments and school schedule neat and tidy. Price: $2.99

AirSharing- One of the biggest concerns on presentation day is losing the tiny USB device carrying all your information. AirSharing fixes that by turning your iPhone into a document storage device, allowing you to take your files where ever you go without the need for keeping track of another USB drive. Price: $2.99

Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite- Although it’s the most expensive on the list, Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite is one of the most useful apps for students. Forget about lugging around the laptop, this app gives you the option of opening, creating, and making revisions to Microsoft Office documents using a number of file extensions. Once you’re finished, you’re given the option of sending the document out as an email. Price: $9.99