ACE helps foster students succeed

[author title=”About the Author” author_id=”256″]

We consider it a blessing to be connected to this University … and to be able to support a program with a proven track record of changing so many young lives for the better

By Sonni Simmons

CSUSM recently established a new center on campus in order to promote student well-being, facilitate engagement and advance its commitment to student success.

ACE Scholars Services provides a comfortable, close-knit environment and individualized scholastic services for extended and former foster students at CSUSM.

After a $1 million donation by Jan and Esther Stearns, ACE, which began on campus in 2007,  now has its very own building. The new Jan and Esther Stearns Center for ACE Scholars was officially opened on Feb. 10 and features a lounge, study area and conference room for ease of study and focus.

“[The ACE Scholar Services] is a place to call home and belong,” said Leigh Quijada, ACE coordinator and counselor. “ACE students now have access to comfortable, welcoming spaces.”

Along with access to the new Center for ACE Scholars, students are offered personal support from the three ACE Scholars staff members, personal assistance in navigating the financial aid process, emergency financial assistance, financial assistance for textbooks, recreational events and priority class registration and advising.

“The goal is to remove barriers for success,” Quijada said. “We want our students to develop their own identity and be proud.”

Jan and Esther Stearns have been involved with ACE Scholars Services for several years now and they are looking forward to many more. They hold a certain passion for supporting foster youth, and have three adopted foster children of their own.

“We consider it a blessing to be connected to this University … and to be able to support a program with a proven track record of changing so many young lives for the better,” Esther Stearns said. “We have found kindred souls in Jim Mickelson, in President Haynes, and in many others in this campus community – people who are committed to identifying needs in our society … and taking bold action to make it better.”

During the Grand Opening, President Haynes took some time to thank the Stearns for their generous donation and recognize them for their outstanding dedication to the community.

“We know that those coming from the foster care system are confronted with unique challenges in getting into, and through, college,” said Haynes. “But we also know that, if given the chance, these students have much to offer our University, our region and the world. Cal State San Marcos is so fortunate that two community-minded heroes share that appreciation for our ACE Scholars.”

There are 55 students currently involved in the ACE program with more students projected to join the program in the following months. The national retention average of college students is 50% and, due to their focus on foster student’s success, the ACE retention rate is 88%. This is a significant accomplishment, considering the average college graduation rate for individuals formerly involved in the foster care program is between 3-10%.

This new center is sure to have a long lasting effect on former foster youth students for years to come. For those CSUSM students who wish to get involved with ACE Scholars Services, the organization is currently in need of tutors, specifically for math and the sciences. If you are interested in tutoring for ACE, call the main line at (760) 750-4223.