WHO IS MR. ALPHA CHI? A fun filled evening with a great cause

BY ASHLEY DAY

Last Wednesday night, Nov. 10, one of CSUSM’s campus sororities, Alpha Chi Omega, held its annual benefit competition, Mr. Alpha Chi, in the Clarke Grand Salon.
One of the emcees of the event and Alpha Chi Omega executive board member, Robin Monfredini, revealed the evening’s proceeds would be awarded to Laura’s House. Laura’s House is a shelter for victims of domestic violence. The organization is committed to combating domestic violence. Monfredini said, “Mr. Alpha Chi raised approximately $3000-$4000.”
The night started out with CSUSM’s dance team performing a quick dance. Then, the contestants of Mr. Alpha Chi danced onto the stage to DJ $crilla’s “Alpha Chi Omega Rap.” The men represented ten countries and continents around the world: Italy, Scotland, U.S.A., Australia, Iceland, Mexico, Ireland, Jamaica, Africa and Brazil. A few technical difficulties started before the event could proceed.
The contestants were judged on three rounds.
Round one consisted of introducing the contestants and their Alpha Chi coaches. Enrique Iglesias’s song “I Like It” played during Mr. Italy’s (Brandon Barnes) intro. Some of the highlights of the introduction round were Mr. U.S.A’s (Garrett Yack) introduction with Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the U.S.A.,” Mr. Ireland’s (Nick Bowser) jig and Mr. Africa’s (Ashton Harvey) backdrop photo.
During round two of the competition, the contestants presented themselves in their best “formal wear.” Alpha Chi emcees asked the participants numerous questions and the boys were graded on their responses. Cameron Mclaws (Mr. Scotland) was asked what he would do if he won the lottery. He answered, “I would give most of the money to my parents, since they are great supporters of mine and travel with the rest.” Justin Montes (Mr. Jamaica) was asked to use three adjectives to describe himself to which he responded, “Short, dark and handsome.” Mr. Australia (Ken Lalonde) presented himself in his military attire and responded to the question, “What is the biggest goal you have accomplished?”
Round three displayed each person’s talent. The contestants proved to be stiff competition to each other. Each talent was a mixture of funny and sweet. Many of the talents consisted of dancing and singing. Daniel Mason (Mr. Iceland) replicated Napoleon Dynamite’s “Vote for Pedro” dance, Yack danced to Vanilla Ice’s, “Ice Ice Baby,” Harvey brought back 90s memories with Cisqo’s, “Thong Song” and Paolo Leveratto (Mr. Mexico) sang along with Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” Brian Buttacavoli (Mr. Brazil) presented a self-penned song and piano composition to the Alpha Chi girls. Buttacovoli dedicated the song to his mom.
While the judges deliberated on the winner, the Alpha Chi women raffled away gift baskets including a CSUSM gift basket, San Diego Chargers and Padres gift baskets and a holiday gift basket donated by the sorority Alpha Xi Delta.
Leveratto (Mr. Mexico) placed as contestant with most supporters. Harvey (Mr. Africa) came in third place, while Bowser (Mr. Ireland) placed second. The big winner of the night ended up being the contestant who “joined a week before the competition,” Brian Buttacavoli (Mr. Brazil). Mr. Alpha Chi 2009 crowned Buttacavoli “Mr. Alpha Chi 2010.” Buttacavoli said it felt “Absolutely, phenomenally amazing” to be crowned Mr. Alpha Chi 2010. He hopes to be “the best representation for Alpha Chi Omega that he can be.”