Fashion Commentary: Celebrities model the latest trends

By Anna Maria Petrov

The 57th Annual Grammy Awards, held at the Los Angeles Staples Center, celebrated many mainstream artists and showcased both spectacular performances and elegant fashion styles.

Four time host, LL Cool J, introduced the first performers of the night, AC/DC, known for their 1979 track, Highway to Hell and new 2014 song, Rock or Bust. LL Cool J sported a navy blue with black accent tuxedo and wore a sapphire diamond ring with a black classic ascot cap.

Performers also dressed to impress, selecting fashion choices as impressive as their voice qualities. For example, Sam Smith, winner of four Grammy’s including best new artist, wore a black and venetian red striped suit during his performance alongside Mary J. Blige. Additionally, Katy Perry wore a white mid-length sheer dress with an extremely vibrant short hairstyle with chandelier earrings. Perry contributed to the fight against domestic violence with a moving performance of the song, By the Grace of God.

The night of festivities brought a lot of classic black ensembles; Beyoncé, Meghan Trainor and Jessie J all sported black elegant floor-length dresses. Lady Gaga also wore a vintage inspired, curvy long dark dress paired with a diamond necklace and bracelet. Miley Cyrus modeled a cutout black dress and  Nicki Minaj wore a shimmering long fringe dark dress.

Though black dresses were a popular choice, other unique pieces also made their way into the limelight. Anna Kendrick and Rihanna both wore black tuxedos and stilettoes. Gwen Stefani dressed in a stylish black jumpsuit and rhinestone dark stilettoes in a crimson long dress.

Towards the end of the show, Beyoncé performed Take My Hand, Precious Lord, which was first sung to her by her own mother. She dressed in all white and had the pearly appearance of an angel.

The 57-year-old awards show never fails to surprise and always introduces new artists, music and fashion.