FDA DECLARES CAFFEINE AND ALCOHOL A DANGEROUS MIX

SANDRA CHALMERS

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Makers of the popular alcoholic drink, JOOSE, and other like products, received notice from the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) noting that their beverages contain an “unsafe food additive.”

The San Diego-based company, United Brands, owners and producers of JOOSE, a caffeinated, malt liquor drink featuring multiple fruit flavors, may be pulled off the shelves due to legal and safety concerns.

“The increasing popularity of consumption of caffeinated alcoholic beverages by college students and reports of potential health and safety issues necessitates that we look seriously at the scientific evidence as soon as possible,” said Dr. Joshua Sharfstein, principal deputy commissioner of food and drugs, in a statement release by the FDA on Nov. 13.

United Brands CEO, and president, Michael Michail, released a public statement on their website, www.drinkjoose.com, stating that United Brands understands that the FDA ruling is a response to the recent series of health and safety incidents involved with consumption of a competitor’s products. However, United Brands is not aware of a single incident of injury or other harm associated with its products.

JOOSE uses Facebook, a social networking site, to keep its fans updates on new flavors and the recent FDA notice. Many fans expressed their anguish towards the FDA and mentioned, “This is ridiculous. Don’t blame the drink, blame the idiots who don’t know when to stop.”

The FDA performed its own laboratory testing on these products and produced peer-reviewed literature with expert sources in variety of fields, including toxicology, epidemiology and emergency medicine.

Through these tests, findings include that caffeine can mask some of the sensory cues individuals might normally rely on to determine their level of intoxication.

The FDA confirmed that their peer-reviewed studies suggest that the consumption of beverages containing added caffeine and alcohol is associated with risky behaviors that may lead to hazardous and life-threatening situations.

“There is evidence that the combinations of caffeine and alcohol in these products pose a public health concern,” Sharfstein continued.

An article featured in NYdailynews.com declared that Four Loko, another caffeinated, alcoholic drink, allegedly caused the death of a 21-year-old female who drove her car into a telephone pole in Maryland.

Many states have already placed bans on caffeine-alcohol combination drinks including Washington, Utah, Michigan and Oklahoma.

“We are aware of the concerns expressed by various regulators and will ensure that all JOOSE products meet both state and national health and safety guidelines,” continued Michail.  “As the creator of this category of products, United Brands has always taken pride in the high quality of our products, and we will continue to lead in the development of JOOSE products.”

The FDA requires that these manufacturers amend their products, or the FDA will take appropriate action to ensure that the products are removed from the marketplace.

Changes for some companies have already begun while others, such as JOOSE, are still in the works.

Phusion Projects, the makers of Four Loko, announced on Nov. 16 the intent to remove caffeine from its drinks.

Other caffeine-alcohol combination drink makers, Miller and Anheuser-Busch, agreed to discontinue beverages such as Sparks, Tilt, and Bud Extra within past years.

To date, the FDA has only approved caffeine as an additive for use in soft drinks in concentrations of no greater than 200 parts per million. The FDA has not approved caffeine for use at any level in alcoholic beverages.

The FDA did not mention any health concerns with the use of mixed drinks such as vodka and redbull that can be easily ordered at any alcohol-serving establishment.