Hiking through spring break, a new outdoor adventure

[author title=”About the Author” author_id=”259″]

By Caleb Hogland

Spring break for college students is a time for outdoor adventures and new experiences. Living in sunny San Diego next to the beach definitely has its perks, but CSUSM’s Campus Recreation is offering students a change of scenery.

Each year, Campus Recreation puts together a seven day trip to see three national parks in Utah. These beautiful destinations include Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Zion National Park.

CSUSM’s very own Kali Holt, who graduated and has come back to work on her masters, went on this trip multiple times as a student and will now be leading the outdoor spring break adventure.

The Outdoor Spring Break (OSB) trip is a great opportunity to see some of the most beautiful and famous landscapes in the world

“The Outdoor Spring Break (OSB) trip is a great opportunity to see some of the most beautiful and famous landscapes in the world,” Holt said.

The trip will take place from Saturday, March 28 through Saturday, April 4, and the group will depart from the Clarke Field House. Sign-ups begin at 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 1, but get there early because space is limited.

There is an application with a checklist of additional documents that must be completed and turned in during sign-ups so do not delay.

This national park experience is only $399 for students. This price covers transportation, some food, admission for all three national parks and lodging. Good times and memories are free, but remember they are perishable so be sure to bring a camera.

Although there will be plenty of hiking and sightseeing in the desert, the lodging is very accommodating with fully furnished hotels and hot tubs.

This is a school run trip so students will get the chance to learn the geology and history of each park as well as environmental responsibilities, navigation and leadership skills.

To see the specifics and a detailed day-to-day itinerary, go to the CSUSM home page, search for ‘Campus Recreation’ and find the ‘Outdoor Spring Break’ tab.

This spring break adventure is a once a year opportunity to experience three national parks all in one shot. The red rock wonderland of Arches, the amazing canyons of Canyonlands and the Mount Carmel Highway and Tunnel of Zion.

Students are encouraged to sign up for this event in order to take on a new adventure and experience something different this spring break.