LGBTQ PRIDE CENTER: Safe space and fun place

FAITH ORCINO

PRIDE STAFF WRITER

The LGBTQ Pride Center is located in Commons 201. It is campus’s main “SafeZone” for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and questioning students, where individuals can feel supported, safe and affirmed.

The center provides resources including literature and movies from the community. Students can walk into the center whenever it’s open to study or just hang out.  The staff recently renovated one of its rooms specifically as a study area.  Inside, there are computers, a scanner, and a printer available for use. If people need to have a place to store their food, the study room also has a refrigerator and a microwave.  For those looking to relax and have some free time, the main area of the Pride Center has many couches and beanbags to sit on or take a nap, with a TV that has several game consoles hooked up.

On Dec. 1, a campus-wide event, coordinated by the Pride Center, will be held to raise awareness about World AIDS day.  The center has held free HIV testing before, but this will be a first event with two testing locations on campus from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. They also plan a vigil and education fair for that day.  Co-sponsors include the Women’s Center, Cross Cultural Center, ASI Campus Activities Board, Vista Community Clinic, CSUSM Hope and Wellness Center, Clarke Field House, National Latino Research Center, and the Social Justice and Equity Project.

The LGBTQ Pride Center also has new hours this semester. They are open Monday to Tuesday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.