Dangers of disposable tampons and pads

Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Kayla Richardson

Contributor 

Disposable tampons and pads are, by far, the most commonly used menstrual products amongst menstruating girls and women. The use of these products has become so normalized that most women do not question them or search for other options.

Tampons and pads are the only menstrual products that you will find advertised on television, sold in grocery stores and hidden away in the bathroom cabinets of friends, mothers and sisters. Commercials for these products depict healthy women using them to overcome their menstruating bodies and do all the activities they love to do.

Unfortunately, these commercials do not mention the toxins and chemicals their products contain or the toll they take on the planet. Tampons contain pesticides, dioxins, GMOs and fragrances, and it is estimated that a single menstruating woman will produce 1,000 pounds of waste in tampons in her lifetime (ruby-cup.com). Despite the facts, these products remain popular because since they are disposable, you have to keep buying them. This means more money for the companies that sell them. It isn’t right that we are buying products that are not good for our bodies or the planet.

Fortunately, there are other options. First, a great alternative is the menstrual cup. The menstrual cup is reusable, so you only have to purchase one, which saves money and you don’t have to throw it away, which reduces waste. It also does not contain any harmful toxins or chemicals. Some great brands to check out are the Mooncup, the DivaCup and the Lily Cup.

Next, if you are a pad user, you can make the easy switch to reusable cloth pads. Cloth pads are used in the same way as disposable pads, but they are better for you and the environment. Some brands that sell cloth pads are GladRags and Lunapads. Better yet, you can turn fabric you might have lying around into your own unique cloth pads at no cost to your body, the Earth or your wallet.

Another great alternative is the sea sponge, which might be best for someone who is accustomed to using an absorbent product like the tampon. Sea sponges are more absorbent than tampons, but contain none of the toxins or chemicals, are low cost and do not contribute any waste. You can purchase sea sponges for menstruation from an incredible company called Jade & Pearl.

We should not have to spend excessive amounts of money on products that do not serve us. Also, we each have an individual responsibility to take care of the planet in any way we can. Ditching the disposable tampons and pads and opting for healthier, sustainable menstrual products is one way we can be active in doing so.

View Comments (1)

• K

KayMar 7, 2015 at 10:40 pm

I have a Mooncup http://www.mooncup.co.uk/wc.php?u=1741 and it was the best thing I ever did to switch from tampons to a cup – I leaked CONSTANTLY with tampons and pads, I also had vaginal infections all the time, but no such problems with menstrual cups and my Mooncup has saved me a small fortune.

Reply