Simple ways to save precious water

Photo+by+Noelle+Friedberg+
Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Noelle Friedberg

Opinion Editor 

Water scarcity is an issue that affects every continent, so it’s important to conserve this non-renewable resource in every way possible. Even the simplest changes in our water use can lead to a world of difference.

Conserving water doesn’t have to involve any huge lifestyle changes – even the smallest things add up. Here are some simple ways you can start saving water today:

• In the shower: When the topic of saving water comes up, it’s common to hear people say, “take shorter showers.” But there are ways to save water while you shower that don’t necessarily mean you have to spend less time showering. An alternative is to simply turn off the water when you don’t need it, using the nozzle found on most shower heads. You can turn off  the water while you’re shampooing, shaving, lathering, using your loofah, etc. This is a great way to save water because you don’t really need water for your full shower time anyway.
  • Brushing your teeth: Don’t leave the faucet running while you’re brushing your teeth. We’ve all heard this one million times, but it’s a good thing to be reminded of. It really does save a lot of water because it all adds up in the end.
  • While doing laundry: Wash dark clothes in cold water. This saves water and energy, and helps your clothes retain their color. Also, do a full load of laundry wherever possible. Multiple smaller loads use more water than one large load. When you do have to do a smaller load, make sure you match the water level to the size of the load.

While doing dishes: Don’t leave the water running while you’re doing dishes. Instead, fill up the sink with soapy water and clean your dishes that way. This allows them to soak and keeps you from leaving the water on too long.