Feminism is not another “F” word

Photo+by+Noelle+Friedberg+
Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Tiffany Trent

Feminism is a word that typically evokes a lot of emotion and opinions in people. Whether those emotions are positive or negative depends on the person and their views.

Even in today’s progressive society sometimes people are embarrassed to identify themselves as feminists because of the associated negative stigmas. My hope is that explaining what feminism means to me will shed some light on this cause.

First of all, feminism is not the conviction that women are better than men but the belief that women and men are equal, while acknowledging that while the two sexes are different neither is superior or inferior. Just different. Feminism is instead about giving women freedom. America was established because of the desire for freedom. Countless people have died for freedom. It is that important. Why should a woman be denied such an essential right just because of her gender?

If a woman wants to be a homemaker and mother or the CEO of a corporation, that’s her choice. No matter what a woman wants or desires, she deserves the autonomy to attain her goals. The idea that in order for a woman to be liberated she must turn her back on family and tradition is untrue. A woman can focus on family or a career or both if she wants. Feminism shouldn’t be telling women what to do because that is just another type of oppression but instead should be supporting women to choose what is right for them. Whatever makes a woman feel happy and fulfilled is what should be encouraged and supported. That’s the whole point.

Even with all the advances and progress our society has made, feminism still has a long way to go. Society continues to put way too much emphasis and value on a woman’s looks and attractiveness. I am so sick of the media telling me and other females that the only way to be successful and likeable is to be pretty, young and thin. There is so much more to me than my eye color and dress size. Let us stop judging a book by its cover and look deeper. We are so much more than our physical appearance. We are minds and souls with brilliant ideas and beautiful hearts. Our value should be based on strength and kindness and character.

Women are not objects or possessions. Our sole purpose in this life is much more than serving men. We are more than mothers, wives, sisters, daughters. We are humans, individuals with independent thoughts, feelings and desires. We deserve to have that recognition. It is our right to have free will and choice. And that is why I choose to be a feminist. As long as women anywhere in the world are still treated as inferior, enslaved, oppressed and/or objectified I will fight for equality. A quote by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley sums up the struggle nicely: “I do not wish women to have power over men; but over themselves.”