The modern woman fights for eqaulity

Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Kat Diltz

Innovative, strong, brave and unique. These are the words that come to mind when I think of the American women of today.

Women are fighting for equality among men, joining the military and fighting social stigmas, proving that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Today’s women are capable of being empowering role models for the youth of today, and yet, we are objectified and judged, mostly on how we look.

We live in a very visual society. We thrive on instant gratification and seemingly acceptable suggestions are constantly thrown at us on how to “improve” our looks—which, most of the time, is something that doesn’t have to be changed completely. Lately, I have noticed a wave of celebrities such as Demi Lovato, Emma Watson and Kelly Clarkson, who are inspiring young girls to accept their body types—something that is refreshing in today’s world. Even though we are still being pushed to change ourselves, women are breaking the seal and encouraging others to stop believing in the hype.

Aside from accepting our physical beauty, women have improved in the importance of our education over the past few decades. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics conducted a study in 2011 that concluded that 66.7 percent of women ages 25—64 have attended college, and 93.1 percent of women have attended high school. Also, today’s female college students are more likely to obtain their master’s degree than male college students. 7.8 million American women have been able to start their own businesses, according to a U.S Department of Commerce study in 2010. However, women are still paid less than men, even when working the same job.

While the majority of today’s women are fighting for equality, it is not certain that gender equality will be achieved in the near future. While today’s women are innovative and strong, we are still judged and objectified. Most of us are still in limbo, trying to decide between hiding or accepting our imperfections. However, despite all the obstacles that society has thrown at us, we have grown into a feisty generation, leaving behind a powerful statement for the generations to come: if you express kindness and bravery, you can achieve your goals.