Cougar Chronicle editor to debut book at Gender Equity Center event

By Nicole Holman

Assistant News Editor

The Cougar Chronicle’s very own Editor in Chief, author and student Katlin Sweeney will be holding a discussion about her second book entitled Angry Young Women.

The event will provide students with an opportunity to preview Sweeney’s book.  Angry Young Women covers a variety of topics that focus primarily on issues in mainstream feminism. Oftentimes, the main face of feminism is depicted as white, middle-class and heterosexual women which alienates a vast quantity of people who perhaps need the support of such movements the most.

Angry Young Women seeks to explore the many dimensions of womanhood as well as bring to light the necessity of including marginalized women in feminism,” Katlin Sweeney said.

Sweeney strives to encourage women, specifically college-age women, to become more educated on feminist issues and to inspire them to engage in critical discussion.

Sweeney also addresses the issue of the anxiety that affects young women writers in today’s society. It is becoming more common for authors only to be taken seriously if they hold graduate degrees, while younger writers are quickly discredited on account of their youth.

On the topic of young female writers, Sweeney said, “Young women’s voices are not often heard in our society. I want Angry Young Women to open that door to critical dialogue about these topics.”

Sweeney’s book can be used to foster and facilitate discussions that brings topics such as intersectional feminism into conversations both in and out of the classroom.  Advocating for young people to speak up about topics they are passionate about, Sweeney has proven that today’s youth do have a voice.

This event will take place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. on March 26 at the Gender Equity Center. Make sure to stop by to learn more about the book and support this fellow Cougar author