Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Lawston advocates equality for all

By Shanice Davis

Features Assistant

Professor Dr. Jodie Lawston says growing up as a child, she was raised by strong women who installed feminist values in her at an early age. Because of this, she believes gender is not black and white and that there is a grey area and strives to look at everyone as equals.

Born in the Big Apple, Lawston attended Stony Brook University in New York, where she obtained her bachelor’s degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Neuroscience and a minor in Women’s Studies. She then made her way west and settled in San Diego, where she attended UCSD, receiving her PhD in Sociology.

When asked if she loves being a professor, Lawston responded first with a burst of laughter, then with, “Is that a trick question?”

“Sometimes, when the students are doing the reading and the work, it’s really exciting, I get a lot out of it, it’s rewarding,” Lawston said.

As far as her dream job, she did not hesitate, responding, “A professional cyclist,” after she revealed that she is a member of a cycling team.

As evident throughout history, it is no secret that women have been oppressed for as long as anyone can remember. However, many efforts have been made to elevate women but it could be argued that more can continue to be done.

“I think men and women and people of all genders, when you think about transgender people as well, we should strive for equity and living as partners,” Lawston said. “I think society made some really important gains, but I also think that we’re still inequitable. Women are still paid less for the same jobs, women still get the majority of unpaid labor in the home, women are also still underrepresented in many positions of power like CEO’s and women are also underrepresented in sports still.”

Lawston has personally witnessed the underrepresentation of women as she participates in a male dominated sport.

“I know the field of cycling very well and you still see paid discrepancies in cycling. You still see in races that they don’t have equal money prizes for men and women, the men get the majority of the prizes. I think we still have work to do,” she said.

Professor Lawston stresses that as part of the Women’s Studies Department, they work to be inclusive of all variables by looking at race, class, sexuality, ability, age, and how it affects our lives. Looking at all aspects of the spectrum helps in having a better understanding of all genders and their tribulations, not just solely women.

“I think we should be understanding of one another, be more compassionate towards one another, to look at the ways we are all similar while acknowledging and respecting our differences,” Lawston said.