Fashion Commentary: The Oscars revealed top new styles

By Anna Petrov

The 87th Academy Awards were held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, and besides handing out rewards for the many areas that contributed to making great films or documentaries, fashion was paramount.

The Oscars premiered on February 22, 2015. Fashion on the red carpet this year included many unique styles and the celebrities, wearing many different designs, all looked glamorous.

“I feel like this year’s fashions were a lot more conservative than last years…But I personally really love the outfits this year especially Felicity Jones because she always brings a more sophisticated old Hollywood style,” Tessa Mata, CSUSM mass media major, said.

Jennifer Lopez, a well-known performer, fashion designer and actress wore an elegant floor-length Elie Saab dress with beautiful diamond earrings. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow wore a soft pink, long, one shoulder rose inspired Ralph & Russo couture dress and stunning teardrop ruby red earrings that added a perfect contrast of shades.

Actress and producer Reese Witherspoon attended the awards in an elegant, yet simplistic, old Hollywood inspired black and white Tom Ford dress. Actress Patricia Arquette accepted her award for best supporting role, dressed in a similar black and white pallet in a Rosetta Getty dress and gave an inspirational speech about women’s rights.

Actress and film director, Lupita Nyong’o, wore a show-stopping pearl dress, designed by Calvin Klein.

According to Vogue, “the dress achieved a sense of luxury by creating a series of textures with intricate placements of a variety of different-sized pearls.”

From head to toe, actress Rosamund Pike wore long red Givenchy Haute Couture in tone with her red heels. Similarly, actress Emma Stone appeared at the awards in the second creation of the day by designer Elie Saab, a long golden dress with matching heels and silver jewelry.

There was another unforgettable hip dress worn by actress Naomi Watts, and it demonstrated a youthful, long silver and tinge of black abstract pattern and bandeau back Armani Privé dress.

The Oscars showcased trendsetting dresses created by inspiring designers along with equally beautiful jewelry and accessories.