Campus events to spotlight LGBTQA community

By Nicole Holman

News Assistant

[author title=”About the Author” author_id=”257″]

The month of April- charmingly dubbed “Gaypril”- will bring a plethora of events to campus that serve to highlight the LGBTQA community.

On Tuesday, April 7, a discussion about marriage equality will be held at 6 p.m. in the USU Ballroom. Anya Mukarji-Connolly, Supervising Attorney with the New York Legal Assistance Group’s LGBTQA Law Project, will be discussing the health and economic disparities that impact low-income LGBTQA communities.

On Wednesday, April 8, a release party for The Queery, an annual publication written and developed by the Queer Community, will be held at 5:30 p.m. in the ASI Conference Room. Students will have the opportunity to stop by for a copy of The Queery, meet contributors and enjoy some light refreshments.

On Monday, April 13, the Pride Center will be hosting a discussion and informational session entitled “Fetishization vs. ‘Preference’” which serves to educate those in attendance about the thin line between preference and the harmful effects of fetishization.

The conversations will continue on Wednesday, April 15 in the Pride Center with the event entitled “What Makes You, You?” This activity will serve as a self-affirmation exercise for students in order for them to accept both positive and negative influences on one’s individual self.

Ready to dance it out? Join students in the Pride Center on Wednesday, April 29 for some Zumba! Have fun and get a workout at this Campus Recreation and Pride Center collaborative event.

During Gaypril, the H.O.P.E. and Wellness Center will also be hosting ‘Take Back the Night’ at 6 p.m on April 23. This event serves to raise awareness about sexual violence as well as to aid in the prevention of the cycle of violence.

On Saturday, April 25, the Pride Center will be hosting a discussion called “Queer Hombois: On Queerness, Masculinity, and Latin@ Identity” at 5 p.m. This event will feature Tiana Vargas and will give insight on queer latin@ masculinities.

The informational and eventful month will come to a close with the Campus Pride Walk and Festival on Thursday, April 30.  Students are welcomed and encouraged to participate in the Pride Walk during U-Hour, eat free food and learn from fellow students who are involved in the WMST 300-19: Intro to LGBTQ Studies class on campus. Anyone who wants to participate in the Pride Walk should meet at 11:30 a.m. in Campus Commons.

Gaypril is a chance for CSUSM students to come together to support and celebrate the LGBTQA community on campus. To learn more about these upcoming event, please visit the Pride Center website at http://www.csusm.edu/asi /get_involved/pride/.