Letter to the Editor: Response to “Racism is a Two-Way Street”

By Joshua D. Copeland

Why do some white people cry “reverse-racism” when they find they don’t like the taste of their own medicine?

As advised viewer discretion, I want to start by reassuring you that yes I am a black guy and in no way, shape, or form do I discriminate or am prejudiced against white people or any other ethnicity. I love everyone.

That being said, this article is in response to “Racism is a Two-Way Street” by Zach Schanzenbach, which talks about racism in America directed towards whites, if there is such thing….

He says racism is a “two-way” street, assuming that the “two-ways” are coming from the direction of black and white corners. He doesn’t hesitate to point out the ignorance of those oblivious to the racism in this country, while failing to recognize the ignorance of his own. For example: his take on Ferguson.

To this day, Mike Brown (a.k.a. “the black criminal” killed by Darren Wilson) is a sensitive spot for people of color. But Schanzenbach views the protests in response to Brown’s murder as discrimination against Wilson, “condemning him for blatant racism.” Despite Wilson’s proven record of past “blatant racism” and violence towards black people, to Schanzenbach, Wilson is the victim. Not Brown…

With all due respect, Zach: What do you know about racism?

Do you think blacks are just roaring about racism because it makes us feel “uncomfortable?”  How can you, a white male, honestly complain about reverse-racism from the perspective of white privilege?

I don’t see white kids executed and left dead in the street for wearing hoodies or playing with toy guns; or hung by trees; or with their hands up; or on video in broad daylight. I don’t hear the excuses for why they died to cover-up the reason regarding their skin color. Where was the media’s sympathy then?

Where are your white equivalents to our Trayvon Martins, Tamir Rices and Mike Browns (who actually didn’t have a criminal record)?

Instead, you have actual white killers like James Holmes, who pretends to be “the joker” and shoots people in a movie theater, safely taken into custody… “Safely” because he’s white.

You said: “racism is a two-way street.” That requires you to look at racism as a whole – from both directions of your street.  Before claiming how whites are targets of racism, recognize your privilege and the racism practiced by your very own.