Why Cal State University San Marcos is the best

Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Sarah Youngren

College is a place to have fun, explore your independence and learn more about life and yourself. At least that’s what I’ve heard about college throughout my life.

While yes, those are all very true, what you don’t hear too much about is how extremely stressful it is. There is endless amounts of homework, school activities, work and not to mention we have our impending future of what we will do after college looming over us. Thankfully, in my opinion, CSUSM is the best school to go to as a young adult who is transitioning to the real world.

Before I transferred here, I was scared about finishing college and trying to break into the business world.  But it wasn’t long before my feelings started to change. My second semester here, I went to a career counselor who helped steer me in the right direction. He inspired me to do more than just go to school, and to actually start working towards my career while in college.  I found out that there are many activities on campus you can get involved with and that will aid you in building your resume. I was scared of the idea at first. I was never the student to get involved for fear of rejection, but I met some friends who showed me how welcoming organizations on campus are. The experience has been overwhelmingly supportive and friendly.

Yet, I think the best aspect of CSUSM is the professors. All of the professors I’ve had so far are passionate, knowledgeable, approachable and helpful. I know most teachers I’ve had in the past at community college have said you can come by their office hours and ask questions, but I never actually wanted to until I started going here. Maybe it had to do with the fact that the work is much harder, but I also think the professors make you feel comfortable, and they’re supportive of you coming to them. They want to help you and it’s made clear. It’s also an added benefit that they all seem pretty interesting.

This is why the professors at CSUSM are the best and this is why I love CSUSM –  they don’t just give you an education, they give you a platform for your future.