Groundbreaking Ceremony

Burtland Dixon, Web and Social Media Manager

The time has finally arrived. CSUSM athletes and student gas tanks need not to worry for much longer.

On March 23, 2015, ground was officially broken for the new Sports Center at the groundbreaking ceremony held on campus. A home for our athletes to compete in and a fostering of student life is on the way.

“This facility is a game changer – for our campus, our athletes and our region,” Athletic Director, Jennifer Milo, said.

Jennifer Milo hit it right on the head with that statement. The Sports Center is a game changer for several reasons. One of those reasons is our Cougars will finally have a true home court advantage. Another reason is the ability to grow the community on the CSUSM campus. The game is being changed both literally and figuratively through our players and student life.

“Our student athletes represent the heart and soul of Cougar pride,” said CSUSM President Haynes.

Giving a home to the heart and soul of Cougar pride is a step in the right direction for sure. Just stepping foot in the room where the groundbreaking ceremony was held, one could just feel the energy pulsing in the room. Excitement filled the air as important members of CSUSM faculty and athletes spoke about the Sports Center.

Just five years ago, this new gym would not have been needed. Basketball and women’s volleyball were not added until the 2011-12 season. CSUSM worked as swiftly as possible to get this gymnasium to come about. This just gives permission to people’s imagination to contemplate about what can come into fruition next at CSUSM.

“This facility has been a missing link to feeling complete as a department,” Milo said via csusmcougars.com.

Come the 2016-2017 season, the gym will be complete and athletes, students and faculty will all be able to rejoice. Traveling to Miracosta and Escondido High for a home basketball and volleyball game respectively, will all be a thing of the past. If anything, our opponents should cherish these last seasons while they can before our Cougars are unleashed in all their glory to what they will soon call their home.

What better way to celebrate 25 years than to commence the construction of what will affect the whole university in nothing short of a positive manner.