Why Robert Aiello-Hauser is one of my role models

Photo by Chris Morales

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-In-Chief

I have been very fortunate during my time at CSUSM to have become friends with people that exemplify what it means to be a role model. Meeting Robert not only heightened my desire to make social justice a priority in my career, but he shows me on a daily basis what it means to love and work for your community.

When I started at CSUSM three years ago, I knew only a handful of people. As I became more involved with The Cougar Chronicle and various other campus organizations, that gradually began to change. When one of my best friends expressed an interest in visiting the campus LGBTQA Pride Center and encouraged me to go with him, I initially declined. I was nervous about whether or not I would be welcomed in a space where a community that I was supportive of, but did not really know, spent time.

When I finally did visit the Center (which at this time was housed in Commons, not the USU), my nerves vanished almost immediately. Every time I turned around, someone new was coming up to me to say hello and ask me what video games I liked or what other interests I had. Even though I am lousy at video games, I began visiting more and more often and truly felt welcomed.

I had caught glimpses of Robert here and there, but finally officially met him when I became Editor-in-Chief of The Cougar Chronicle in May 2013. After sitting down to talk with him, visiting the Center more often and learning more about LGBTQA rights and issues, I gained a whole new appreciation for the movement.

One of the most important things I learned through Robert and the Pride Center is how to be an ally. As a heterosexual woman that identifies in the LGBTQQIP2SA community (thanks Rodger for teaching me this acronym!) as an ally, it has been a journey for me to understand what exactly that means.

Being an ally is a very complicated experience and means a lot of things to a lot of different people. For me, being an ally means that regardless of where I am and who is listening, I will always stand up for folks in the LGBTQA community. I will always stand up against homophobic and transphobic language, actions and stereotyping.

However, being an ally does not grant me the authority to dominate a conversation about LGBTQA issues and direct all attention to me, or to speak on behalf of the LGBTQA community. It does not permit me to dominate the front spots at a rally or be the “face” of the movement. It means to support, which to me means not having to be the center of attention, but still making it clear to everyone that my support for the community will not change just to “impress” or “appease” others who may not understand it.

Without Robert, I would have never learned this important facet to my identity. This is just one of the many things I have learned from my time at the Center and becoming friends with Robert.

He works tirelessly everyday to make sure that everyone around him is cared for. He stays long after his “shift” is over to complete all of the work he wants to accomplish. Robert builds coalitions and encourages folks to get to know the community. At events like the Coming Out Monologues and Rainbow Recognition, Robert always cries from genuine love, joy and empathy for everyone that shares their thoughts and stories.

He never forgets anyone or neglects to check to make sure that everyone around him feels loved and accepted. He passionately believes in creating safe spaces and giving students a platform to voice their opinions. Robert works hard to make sure that students understand and own their potential. This support is something that has had a tremendous impact on my life.

When my father passed away in November, my close relationships became even more important to ensure that I stayed focused on graduating next spring, did not lose my drive to help folks at the newspaper and move forward with my plans to apply for graduate school.

My friendship with Robert in a lot of ways is like having my father back. He has always been my dad away from home, someone who cheered equally hard for my accomplishments and supported me through my mistakes like my father did. He has been friends with me even when it was not popular to be and believed in my visions for the newspaper when others told me they would never happen.

I see a similarity in my father and Robert in that they both had to overcome many challenges to be successful. But these obstacles did not define either of them. Instead, it is the staunch support and love for the people that they care about. Like my father, Robert is one hundred percent a person with his heart on his sleeve, which he continuously breaks into small pieces so that he can hand them to everyone that is in need of love.

Robert, thank you for all that you do.