Writer: ‘Homophobia is still alive and well in society’

Photo by Alex Maravillas

By Alex Maravillas

Arts and Entertainment Assistant Editor

My sexual orientation still makes people feel uncomfortable. That is why I am comfortable being alone.

I have family. However, sometimes it is difficult to be out with family members that are not particularly accepting. That is why identifying as a gay male in a world that is not particularly accepting is especially hard emotionally and physically.

However, as I remain pessimistic in my current situation, I am aware that there is hope for full acceptance for who I am as a human being and that changes towards the view of stereotypes from being gay are transcending into full acceptance.

Identifying in the Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual Transexual Queer Ally (LGBTQA) community, I utilize the resources in my area, for example, the CSUSM Pride Center. With my situation regarding my safety, I like to associate myself in places that identify as a Safe Zone because I fear for my life sometimes due to the occurrence of hate crimes against the LGBTQA community.

While people’s reactions are not our fault, we can control our own reactions to the negativity and we can continue to live and better ourselves through education and personal growth without letting the limits others impose on us dictate our lives.

The surface level of what societal hetero-normative stereotypes have labeled upon the gay community is a reaction to my sexual orientation or gender identity because it leaves a negative effect. So distance is the reasonable solution. I am a multidimensional human being with dreams and aspirations like everyone else.

Remaining positive is a struggle as depression sweeps in for those who are out in the community. However, resources are crucial for those in need. For example, when someone in the community is in distress, asking for help is always the reasonable solution in times of crisis.

Homophobia is still alive and well in society. Struggling individuals in the community are sensitive towards trigger topics and words that can make a current situation worse. I speak for all the gay little boys who have been picked on in school or outside of school and who don’t have a voice.

Life as a gay male of color leads to self-identification issues. Now, as someone who is a millennial and identifies as a homosexual, cisgender, Filipino-American, able-bodied and a student pursuing a higher education, I understand that my current situation is an awareness that is both a curse and a blessing.

As a Peer Educator who works at the ASI LGBTQA Community Pride Center, I can work in an environment that I feel safe in and I can gain skills as a contributor to society while at the same time, giving me a purpose educating the community about current issues that interest the LGBTQA community.

In the summer of 2014, I walked in the San Diego Pride Parade. It was a memorable experience for me as a gay young man. I felt proud to be who I am as I walked on the pavement of the Hillcrest community.