Comic Book Corner: Rat Queens series honored with GLAAD Award

By Faith Orcino

During the 26th Annual GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) Media Awards ceremony in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, the organization announced Image Comics series “Rat Queens” as the 2014 Outstanding Comic Book.

It was one of the many recipients that were honored for ensuring inclusive representation of the LGBT community and diversity in the media on March 21, 2015. Previous winners of the category included Marvel’s 2013 “Young Avengers”, Archie Comics’s 2012 “Kevin Keller” and DC Comics’s 2011 “Batwoman”.

The series has been going strong ever since Jim Valentino, co-founder of Image Comics, greenlit the series in 2013, according to series writer Kurtis J. Wiebe’s interview with IGN. Wiebe collaborated with Meg Dejmal to create this so-called “love letter of my [Wiebe] years of D&D [Dungeons and Dragons]”.

The two formed a fantastical cast of characters including the four leading ladies: Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This rag-tag quartet of mercenaries have a strange way of finding themselves into trouble whether its with new enemies or those from the past.

Even though it is in a mystical realm with elves, dwarves and other magical creatures, some of these characters and situations are close to home. At times these women have to deal with complicated relationships and family issues. Still, they have quests to complete. It is a must-read, especially those that are fans of Image Comics’s “Saga” and other adventure series. “Rat Queens” is far beyond any normal D&D campaign.

The series also gained critical recognition when it became one of the distinguished 2014 Eisner Awards nominee for Best New Series. Both Volumes One and Two are available for purchase and Issue #11, the debut issue of Stjepan Sejic as “Rat Queens”’s regular interior artist, will be released on May 6. Visit imagecomics.com for more information.