Parent corner:

Parent+corner%3A

Ciara Walker, Assistant Features Editor

Ashley Gutierrez, a North County San Diego native, graduated from Vista High School. She had her first child when she was only 14 years old, and now as a student and mother, Gutierrez is noticing the lack of help and information that is available for student-parents at CSUSM.

To assist in a smooth transition for incoming freshmen or transfer students, everything is discussed during orientation, everything except for parenting resources such as childcare services.

Gutierrez is a mother of two and a full time student double majoring in Women’s Studies and Sociology. When she is not at school, she works 40+ hours per week, on top of having an internship at Casa De Amparo’s New Directions Program and volunteering at the Women’s Resource Center in Oceanside.

She also finds time in being active on campus as she has helped to coordinate events such as Feminists Unite, Take Back the Night Committee and co-directed the Vagina Monologues.

During the 2011-2012 school year, Gutierrez worked at the Women’s Center, now known as the Gender Equity Center. With her position there, she worked closely with staff members and was able to conduct a survey which revealed that there were more than 900 student-parents on campus.

“I noticed that there were no advocates for parents attending CSUSM. I would even see women pumping in the restrooms because they had no idea we offered lactation rooms equipped with refrigerators to store milk in the Women’s Center. So, I formed my own student organization, CSUSM Student Parents,” said Gutierrez.

While balancing so many things in her life that it can be difficult at times, she says it can also be “very rewarding.” She volunteers because it makes her feel good and after speaking with young adults that have been through a lot in life, it helps her to view her own situation from a different perspective that things aren’t always as bad as they may seem.

While feeling that the student-parent population is underrepresented on campus, Gutierrez hopes to influence change during her last year. She would like to see a change in the expensive pricing of the Child Center fees and wants to create a space where parents can have study sessions that includes a playroom for kids so that parents have an option in bringing their children if needed. Lastly, she would like to explore the possibility of parents being part of the small amount of people on campus that get priority registration.

While Gutierrez’s hope for change for student-parents on campus won’t happen overnight, she will continue to be a hard working individual, striving to be heard and represent the student- parent community.