Forum to celebrate San Marcos academics

Nicole Holman, Community News Editor

Leaders from the City of San Marcos will gather to celebrate the accomplishments of the city of San Marcos and its academics on Wednesday, Sept. 16.

The forum will take place at 6 p.m. at the University of St. Augustine in the  Health Sciences Building. This free event is open to anyone interested in learning about plans for the future of education in San Marcos. The education forum has been hosted by the City of San Marcos for the past ten years where community leaders have gathered to collaborate on solving education related issues.

“San Marcos is a hub for education. With Cal State San Marcos, Palomar College and multiple private schools in this city, education is a priority,” said Margaret Chantung, Director of Communications on campus.

The City of San Marcos strives to create an open dialog where people can share ideas and ambitions in regards to higher education.

Mayor Jim Desmond will be speaking at the forum and leading discussions about upcoming challenges and goals that lie ahead for the city of San Marcos. A variety of topics will be covered, but the importance of education in relation to economic growth will be emphasized. School budgets will also be discussed.

“The education forum is important because it creates a sense of transparency with the community. It is important for the public to know what is going on in education,” said Chantung. “At the forum, President Haynes will highlight Cal State San Marcos, its recent contributions to the community and its 25 year milestone.

The education forum is an opportunity to become more informed about the future of higher education. To share ideas, goals or questions pertaining to education answered, the San Marcos education forum is the event for you.