“Jane the Virgin” brings new look on love, religion, family

Series Review

Essence Sanders, Staff Writer

The CW original series “Jane the Virgin” is a heartwarming and innovative show that introduces a complex Latina character for the first time on prime time television.

With September being Latino Heritage month, a review of this groundbreaking and Golden Globe winning show is a must.

“Jane the Virgin” is an adaption of the Venezuelan Telenovela “Juana La Virgen.” Carefully crafted with American audiences is mind, “Jane the Virgin” satirically incorporates qualities of a traditional Telenovela.

This show is in the hands of former “Gilmore Girls” writer, Jennie Snyder Urman, as executive producer. Urman creates this amazing balance of exposing the audience to a primarily Latino cast while portraying Jane, her family and all the characters in between as extremely relatable regardless of possible ethnic differences.

The show follows Jane Villanueva, played by Gina Rodriguez, who portrays a hard working and devoutly religious young woman who vows to stay a virgin until marriage. Jane lives with her traditional and very religious grandmother, Alba, who only speaks Spanish. Subtitles translating her speech adds to the overall realism of the show.

Her mother, Xiomara, got pregnant with Jane at 16 years-old, but she dreams of becoming a professional singer, which really drives Jane to succeed as a teacher. Jane works long and hard hours in a hotel to pay for school. She and her steady boyfriend, Michael Cordero, played by Brett Dier, succeed at keeping their very cute and sometimes sappy relationship on a realistic level.

That relationship of course is complicated by a trip to the gynecologist where a routine Pap smear leaves Jane artificially inseminated. The father is surprisingly Jane’s playboy boss, Rafael, who owns the hotel where she works. The pregnancy adds a level of drama to her life as a virgin, a student and a working-class woman. Jane struggles with revealing the news to her family while trying to make responsible decisions for her unexpected child.

This multi-award-winning show will introduce you to a new and refreshing style of drama that is not only serious when need be, but very charming and heartfelt. With a seasoned producer and fresh-faced, relatable actors, “Jane the Virgin” will capture your heart with its authenticity, making this unprecedented show your fall favorite.

Season two will premiere on Monday, Oct. 12. Previous episodes are available on CWTV.com and Hulu.