Why I reject the melting pot

Jessica Castro, Staff Writer

The idea of holding onto your ethnic identity in the United States is not often greeted with understanding. Knowing where you came from eventually will fade away as you become a part of the “melting pot” of society.

To be honest, I have never felt comfortable with that term. It reminds me of a giant pot of nasty soup that it has no flavor and I for one do not want anything to do with that. My point is that our ethnic identity plays a large role in who we are and what we contribute to this world. Knowing where we have come from can actually make you a stronger person with more influence than you ever thought possible.

For a woman of Mexican descent born in the United States, my struggle may look different than yours. For many years I struggled with accepting my ethnic background and wrestled with letting my cultural background here in the U.S take over. I can vividly remember the moment where I realized I was not white. I was about 11 years old and it hurt. I wanted to be just like my friends and fit in so badly. I claimed the term, “white washed” like it was a badge of honor. I made Mexican jokes and thought that making fun of myself would make it less of a burden to carry. I was wrong.

There was a moment when someone was talking to me about culture and told me I was “Latina” I about flipped out on them. Who was this person to call that out in me? Who was this person to put my shame on display? This person who made that statement actually became someone who I highly respect and love. She showed me what role my ethnic identity played in my life and in my faith.

You see, I am not just a Latina, I am a Christian as well. The completeness of my identity relies completely in who God created me to be. I never thought that meant my skin color or my ethnic background, but it does. There is a verse I can look at in the bible time and time again that affirms that. “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:14. I believe that God created every part of me, down to my ethnic background and skin color with reverence.

Once I began to realize this,healing began to take place. I no longer rejected who I am. I began to embrace the beauty of my people and God’s heart for all tribes, nations and languages. My role on campus looks different as well. I get to meet weekly with other students that share my ethnic background and faith. God has used my ethnic background to bring understanding and healing for others and create a beautiful community that is not a melting pot.