STUDY TIPS FOR CRUNCH TIME

BY DEVONNE EDORA

photo courtesy of worthingtonlibraries.org

It’s that time of the year when the aroma of caffeine wafts through the corridors, students clad themselves in sweats, and the feeling of sleep deprivation permeates the air. Tis’ the season of Final Exams.

Finals are the last way for our professors to know if we have been paying attention all semester. If you’ve been sleeping instead well this might be the last chance at getting that A—or C. As a senior at CSUSM, I’ve been reflecting on what has helped me get through finals week. With age comes wisdom, so they say, and while I don’t claim to be a professional test taker, I’ve narrowed down some tried and true tactics that I wish I had known my freshman year.

Tip #1: First, study early. Procrastinating is not key. I know firsthand that being prepared ahead of time is a luxury that a night-before cram session cannot compare to.

Tip #2: Socializing Ends. Trust me, no one else wants to be studying, so they will try everything else instead of that. Studying is now the priority, so shut off your cell phone, deactivate your Facebook, or hibernate in the library. I try to find a place where I can collect my thoughts peacefully so more gets accomplished.

Tip # 3: Study Groups. Depending on the subject, I sometimes try out a study group. However, I don’t go in expecting they will teach me everything. Doing this will make either you or someone in the group very frustrated. Instead, I review what I know, and then work with the group to gain their perspectives on the subject. This way I have someone to help correct me if I’m wrong, or vice versa.

Tip # 4: Figure out the test format. This is my favorite tip because it helps narrow down my studying and what I need to study. I always ask the professors the format of the final. The same idea applies if you’re only being tested on things learnt recently or the cumulative of the course material, because no one wants to study more than they have to.

Tip # 5: Food and Rest. Once I’m in the zone, it gets really hard to make sure I’m taking breaks. Well-being is important because, while you may understand the material better, taking the test half awake is never good. Your essay may start nice and straight and become chicken scratch by the second page. Eat foods that will give you a natural boost of energy like oatmeal, apples and citrus fruits. Salmon is also known to be helpful in improving mental function, giving you an excuse to make that study break into a sushi date. For coffee drinkers, try drinking it around 20 minutes before the exam to let the caffeine properly take affect.