COMING TO THEATERS: FROSTY FLICKS

BY CHRIS GIANCAMILLI

photo courtesy of goremasternews.wordpress.com

Each year, the holiday season sees the release of several blockbuster film,s and 2010 is no different. From sci-fi action to western drama, this winter movie season promises not to disappoint.

A-listers Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie team up to thrill audiences in “The Tourist.” Johnny Depp plays Frank, an American tourist who travels to Europe in an attempt to get over his broken heart. There he meets Elise (Jolie), an intriguing woman who misleads Frank into becoming the target of a group of criminals. The romance-thriller “The Tourist” travels to theaters Friday, Dec. 10.

The Chronicles of Narnia continue the tale as “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” is set to bring more fantasy-adventure to the big-screen this holiday season. The film follows Lucy Pevensie (Georgie Henley) and Edmund Pevensie (Skandar Keynes) as they return to the mystical land of Narnia. There, the siblings reunite with their old friend Aslan the Lion, voiced by Liam Neeson. Joined by their cousin Eustace Scrubb (Will Poulter), King Caspian (Ben Barnes), and Reepicheep (Simon Pegg), the group embarks on another epic journey for the fate of Narnia. “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” sails into theaters Friday, Dec. 10.

“Tron: Legacy” boasts highly stylized visuals and dazzling 3D effects. This film is the follow-up to the 1982 Disney classic “Tron.” Garrett Hedlund stars as Sam Flynn, a 27-year-old who finds himself trapped in a digital world searching for his lost father. Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner reprise their roles as Kevin Flynn and Alan Bradley. “Tron: Legacy” looks to captivate audiences Friday, Dec. 17.

Joel and Ethan Cohen are back with their latest drama “True Grit.” Set in the old west, “True Grit” follows the story of a 14-year-old girl Mattie Ross, played by Hailee Steinfeld. Ross enlists the help of Rooster Cogburn, played by Jeff Bridges, to seek vengeance against the man who killed her father. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin also lend their acting prowess to this western. “True Grit” rides into theaters Wednesday, Dec. 22.

Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro return in “Little Fockers,” the third film in the “Meet the Parents” series. The film picks up as Gaylord “Greg” Focker (Stiller) is now the father of two five-year old twins. When the family reunites, Greg’s father-in-law, Jack Byrnes (DeNiro), looks to pass the man-of-the-house torch to Greg. Greg and Jack battle it out in this comedy on Wednesday Dec. 22.