Alpha Xi Delta encourages people to reach their full potential

Greek Corner

Shanice Davis, Features Editor

Established as the first recognized Greek organization at CSUSM, Alpha Xi Delta was introduced to the campus on Feb. 25, 1995. They have built their reputation as an atypical sorority with philanthropic interests surrounding the autism community.

“The mission statement of Alpha Xi Delta is to enrich the lives of every Alpha Xi Delta. We will: nurture unity and cooperation; foster intellectual, professional and personal growth; exemplify the highest ethical conduct; instill community responsibility and perpetuate fraternal growth,” said Michelle Davis, Alpha Xi Delta Chapter President.

One of their goals this semester is to educate the community at large about the Autistic community.

“Our goal is to raise money and advocate for Autism Speaks; informing the campus community about it and getting the word out to other places as well,” said Davis.

In addition to being a voice for the Autism community, Alpha Xi Delta also gives back by taking every opportunity to volunteer at events and benefits.

“We are working towards doing more community service. We’ve implemented a community service requirement now, so that the girls aren’t just focusing on Autism Speaks,” said Davis.

She said that being part of the Greek life is a good experience due to the selfless acts of helping others in need and supporting one another.

“It’s more about the sisterhood and how other women in the sisterhood are there to support you with whatever you need,” said Davis.

Chapter sister, Angel DiMaria, said being part of Alpha Xi Delta is about being involved in something bigger than yourself.

“It has led me to branch out and experience a life outside of just challenging classes and a busy work schedule. It’s about knowing all your sisters have your back and together you are striving to change the world one Autism Speaks Walk at a time,” said DiMaria. “Our philanthropy is my favorite part of the sorority. It’s so refreshing to know that I am surrounded by women who feel the same passion that I do.”