Beating the Midterm Fatigue

The Heart Beat

Aubree Pickard, Heart Beat Columnist

With midterms approaching, it’s important to make sure you’re prepared for the long hours of studying and excruciating mental exhaustion that lay ahead—just kidding, it’s not that bad.

Seriously though, let’s get ready to destroy the mid-semester madness full of tests and projects that we swore we’d be ready for at the beginning of the semester.

Being unprepared for what’s to come is completely understandable. I’m here to give you a few tips on how to boost your brainpower and habits that could work in your favor when those midterms come knocking at your door.

The last thing a lot of us want to do when we’re busy and stressed is workout, but trust me when I say it’s essential.

A quick workout will help boost your productivity, rev your energy and keep the stress levels down with an increase in serotonin to boost your mood and dopamine, which affects learning and attention. All of that is achieved with one 30-minute cardio session, so don’t forget to fit that in throughout your day and study schedule.

Along with exercise, I also recommend keeping a well-balanced diet. The better fuel your brain gets, the better you’ll study and perform on tests—simple as that. “Eat for your grade,” I like to think.

Snacking on berries while studying can enhance brain performance, and improve your memory. The vitamin C helps boost your immune system, steering you clear of those stress-related illnesses that tend to bounce around right about now.

Nuts are also a quick and healthy snack, with a great source of vitamin E shown to reduce cognitive decline. It’s safe to toss those chips aside, and consider a healthier option that will give your brain the extra boost it needs.

Weighing the options of staying up all night to get that paper done or catching some Z’s? Studies show that getting at least six hours of sleep per night is more beneficial to your memory and retention levels than staying up cramming (Health.com). Just like our bodies, our minds need rest too.

Unfortunately that cup of coffee doesn’t serve as sleep, so be sure to take frequent breaks in between homework and studying to keep your brain from burning out. Power naps are a great way to sneak in some extra sleep throughout the day, keeping you focused and alert.

Whether you’re prepared, or this is your first reminder that midterms are coming up, I urge you to plan ahead, get regular exercise, keep a healthy diet and get enough sleep. These are all crucial for your success and well-being during these busy times.

Don’t hesitate to take advantage of the many resources and services that CSUSM has to offer, including the Math Lab, the Writing Center, and all sorts of different tutoring services. For more information, make your way to www.csusm.edu/students/resources.html.