Fraternity hosts drag show for philanthropy, campus inclusion

NAK promotes acceptance of LGBTQA community

Drag Show contestants pose for camera as they compete for King and Queen.

Sonni Simmons, News Editor

The USU Ballroom was transformed into a venue, complete with a catwalk, to host the second annual Nu Alpha Kappa Drag Show.

Sponsored by ASI, the Pride Center and Tukwut Life, the show was attended by six hundred CSUSM students supporting the fraternity’s philanthropy and efforts to raise awareness on Oct. 2. Not only does the fraternity aim to promote higher education for children through their philanthropic efforts, they uphold the Greek community’s values.

“The idea behind this event was born at our Summer Retreat in 2014. The Greek Community had recently put up our six pillars that we should strive [toward]. One of those pillars set up was diversity and inclusion,” said Hunter Chanove, Vice President of Nu Alpha Kappa and the show’s host. “ We wanted to let people know that no matter who you are, you can find that acceptance and that feeling of belonging in our Greek community.”

Nu Alpha Kappa representatives, including Chanove, approached every fraternity and sorority of CSUSM in spring to gather two volunteers from each to compete. These volunteers would prepare extensively, choosing a lip-sync performance and practicing for a question and answer segment.  All contestants were required to complete Safe Zone training to ensure that none of them offended  the LGBTQA community.

Although the show was light-hearted, there was a serious message to take away.

“I hope that students can walk away from our show feeling inspired,” said Chanove. “There are so many people in the LGBTQ[A] community who are bullied, discriminated against or even attacked and it’s not right. I hope that this event inspires people to stand up for what is right and possibly be that person who can save someone’s life one day.”

At the end of the show, the two people  who best embodied the pillar of diversity and inclusion were crowned drag queen and king. The winners were Sean Heller aka Miss B. Haven and Michelle Davis aka Will Charmher. Davis received a standing ovation for her portrayal of a homosexual love story through dance during her lip-sync performance. Heller received an ovation for his response to a question regarding what he will take away from the experience.

“Minds are like umbrellas, they work better when they’re open,” said Heller. “And I’m going to make it rain.”

The Nu Alpha Kappa drag show is as much of a learning opportunity for the campus community as it is for the contestants.

“We didn’t do it for us. We did it for the people who feel trapped inside and can’t express who they want to be,” said Chanove.

Nu Alpha Kappa aims to host the drag show every year during the first weekend of October.

For information on future Nu Alpha Kappa event plans, ideas or sponsorship inquiries contact Hunter Chanove at [email protected].