Black Student Union: Where is our student center?

Students ask university to prioritize black students

Black Student Union Members ask President Haynes for on-campus student center for African-American students.

Jasmine Demers, Managing Editor

CSUSM Black Student Union members recently made the case for an on-campus student center to serve their needs.

On Thursday, Oct. 1, President Karen Haynes held an open forum where she discussed the CSUSM budget, diversity planning efforts and strategic priorities for the academic year. In a question and answer session after her remarks, BSU members questioned the priority that the university gives its African-American students.

Specifically, the students requested that Haynes begin a process to create a center for black students. The space, they said, would give them a place to voice their opinion and allow them to build their own community on campus.

BSU Vice President Darniesha Thornton was the first to address Haynes.

“What are the goals for black students here on this campus, because a lot of us feel like we don’t have a voice, and like you’re skipping over us?” said Thornton. “Also, we feel like we don’t have a space to voice our opinion.”

Thornton said that being a part of BSU is the only way that she is able to see her “fellow brothers and sisters.”

Other students then stood with Thornton and held up a sign saying, “Hey Karen Haynes, can we have a Black Student Center?”

CSUSM community centers currently include the Pride Center, Gender Equity Center, California Indian Culture & Sovereignty Center, Cross-Cultural Center, Veterans Center and Latin@ Center.

With the grand opening of the Latin@ Center taking place in September, BSU members said that they are feeling excluded from campus priorities.

“We were actually the student org of the year last year, and yet we are still not being heard and not being seen. So I would love if we did have a center where African Americans can come out and be a part of it too,” said BSU Secretary Brandy Williams.

She also said that BSU has more members now than ever before and that it is constantly growing to the point where the group doesn’t have enough seating in their meetings.

Haynes responded by assuring the students that she heard them.

“I appreciate your voice and if you have felt unseen or unheard, I am sorry for that,” she said. “Some of you know that the history of centers on this campus, which precedes me, have been evolutionary and have always come from student voices.”

Haynes said that by listening to student voices, she is able to assess the need for a center, determine whether there is a space available and whether there is staff to supervise. From this information, she can then charge a group to take on the project.

“I believe you have probably raised this in a couple of other places, [but] I have not heard it this clearly through all of those channels,” said Haynes. “I would actually like you to specifically request … this so that I can charge a group, and with you, explore the options.”

In an interview prior to the forum, BSU officer Daniesha Thornton said BSU intends to increase its presence on campus and hopes that students will support it.

“BSU would like to change the campus climate by increasing the population of African-Americans on campus. We want the school to recognize that they are lacking in recruiting black students,” said Daniesha. “But, first we need to show that black students are recognized and united on campus, and that’s why we want a Black Student Center.”