Wounded veteran aims to assist other vets

Veteran spotlight

Shanice Davis, Features Editor

While deployed overseas, Lance Corporal Erik Galvan’s life was changed in an instant. One moment he was fine, the next he’d stepped on an IED, an improvised explosive device.

Galvan served in the United States Marine Corps from 2009 to 2013.

As a young adult, Galvan found in the military hope for his future.

“I joined the military because I really didn’t know what to do after high school and being one of eight children, there wasn’t much money for college,” said Galvan.

While on active duty, Galvan was only stationed locally at Camp Pendleton, but was deployed to Sangin, Afghanistan in 2007.

It was only after three months of deployment, when Galvan’s career began to shift.

“I stepped on an IED, which resulted in the loss of both legs and my right hand. I had to relearn how to write since I was predominately right handed,” said Galvan.

Due to this incident, Galvan also suffers from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). This has affected his memory, making school more difficult for him at times.

After he was injured, Galvan decided to depart from the military because he wouldn’t be able to hold the position he had.

“I got out due to medical reasons, which wouldn’t allow me to keep the same job. Since I’m not one to be behind a desk doing paperwork, I decided to get out,” said Galvan.

After he got out of the military, Galvan said that it was a struggle transitioning back into civilian life. But he’s entered the world of academia and has, for the most part, been enjoying his life home in the states.

“I am a Human Development major with an emphasis in counseling. I plan on pursing my masters of Social Work degree, so that I can work with veterans and assist them with their transition back into the civilian world.”

Even though, he is no longer doing what he loves most, Galvan said that his entire military career was a highlight and has transcribed into his civilian life concepts such as never giving up on himself, never taking the easy way out, being calm in stressful situations, being goal oriented and possessing time management skills.