Veteran ends military career to focus on family

Parent corner

Ciara Walker, Assistant Features Editor

As a Navy veteran, father and husband, Travis Knowlton says that his most difficult challenge in life was transitioning from military service back to civilian life.

Knowlton, a Connecticut native, joined the US Navy in 2007. He served as a corpsman and was stationed here in San Diego County.

The pinnacle of his Naval career was working alongside Marines, when he was deployed to Afghanistan from June 2011 to February 2012.

Knowlton, a student of medicine, was attached to an artillery unit. His medical background was secondary to his role in the unit. Knowlton did everything the other Marines did in the field. It was during this time that he learned communication and leadership skills, the importance of critical thinking and how to manage stress effectively.

Until he became a father, Knowlton was completely dedicated to the Navy.

“My goals shifted when I became a father, and I just wanted to spend time with my family,” he said.

While Knowlton was serving in Afghanistan, his daughter was born just one month before he was expected to return home.

“I was able to see her birth via Skype, which was cool, but it was totally different when I got home,” he said.

Transitioning from the role of a service member into the role of a father was a difficult process, but “the Veterans Center located at the San Marcos Town Center Square was really helpful in making the transition smooth,” Knowlton said.

Now, the most rewarding aspect of Knowlton’s life is fatherhood.

“My daughter really calmed me down from being the typical aggressive man,” he said.

Majoring in Sociology with an emphasis on children, youth and family, Knowlton will graduate in spring 2016 and will begin graduate school the following semester.

“I want to be a social worker for military veterans and their families,” said Knowlton.

The legacy that Knowlton desires to leave behind for his child is one of compassion for others and  dedication to their wellbeing.