Almost losing everything helped Brewer get a new start

Student Profile

Amy Chastain, Assistant Sports Editor

With a big smile on his face and a welcoming demeanor, CSUSM student Jamal Brewer pulls out his wallet to read the Bible verse etched on the outside.

Twenty-two year old Brewer is just as enthusiastic about reading Jeremiah 29:11 as he is about opportunities to share how God transformed his life.

The long jumper and 2016 Olympic Trials hopeful is a trailblazer in his family. He was the first to go to college and the second to become a Christian.

As a child, Brewer grew up in a rough neighborhood in Oceanside where the threat of gun violence and gang disputes lingered.

“I saw a lot of violence…I almost got shot one time when I was little. I saw my best friend get shot two feet in front of me,” Brewer said “I’ve been through a lot.”

His life at home was equally unstable. As the baby of the family, Brewer felt isolated from his older siblings.

When he was in second grade, Brewer carried the burden of raising his sister’s baby. “I was being the father more than she was being the parent,” Brewer said. “I grew up really fast.”

In Brewer’s home, there was no Christian foundation, no Bibles to be found and prayer never exceeded a brief thank you at meal time.

Brewer recalls hearing God’s voice during childhood, but living in a secular home, he was not able to grasp the concept of Christianity and who was really speaking to him.

Looking back on his earlier years, Brewer now sees God’s influence. “Everything I learned was directly from God,” he said.

Despite acknowledging a higher power, Brewer strayed.
“I was relying on my own strength,” he said.

With his father mostly absent, Brewer had to take on more responsibility than he was capable of handling. During his sophomore year of high school he took a job as maintenance for a screen printing company to support his mother and stepfather.

Four years later during his sophomore year at Cal State San Marcos, Brewer was forced to take a year off of his track season in order to once again work two jobs, once again supporting his family.

Carrying the burden from family and attempting to muscle through life, Brewer lost himself. “I completely forgot who I was,” Brewer said. “I forgot who God was, and I was mad at him…I lost myself so much.”

Overwhelmed, Brewer tried to take his own life his sophomore year. “I was so tired of the world. I couldn’t take it,” Brewer said. “I told God…help me.”

In that moment, knife in hand, Brewer described being overcome by the presence of the Lord and being filled with an overwhelming sense of peace.

“He just blew life into me,” Brewer said. “Everything just changed. I didn’t feel sad.”

Three days later, fellow student Steven Ing invited Brewer to the Christian organization InterVarsity.

This invitation was monumental in Brewer’s life.“That led me to officially commit my life to Christ since I knew this was the right religion,” Brewer said.

Since dedicating his life to Christ, track athlete Brewer has become more involved in InterVarsity, leading a small group for Christian athletes alongside softball player Robyn Alvara.

Va’a Wong, leader of InterVarsity’s Asian Pacific Islander group, said that Brewer has a loving heart. “[Jamal] is always looking out for people,” Wong said.

“[He] loves to spread the love of God” to the kids he coaches at Sage Creek High School, Wong said.

Now Brewer’s Christian faith impacts his day to day life. “He changed me, I don’t have to [drink and cuss], because I was just trying to fill the void…[God] fills each part of that void.”

Brewer’s favorite verse reminds him that God is always by his side, guiding him through life.

Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

“God does have a plan for me…He’s going to guide me,” Brewer said.