Luis Romero strives to be a voice for individuals in need throughout the community and on campus

Student leader spotlight

Ciara Walker, Assistant Features Editor

Coming from a lower class, single parent home, sophomore Luis Romero strives to be a voice for minorities and works towards spreading mental health awareness due to his upbringing.

When Romero’s mother was 18, he was born and despite everything both he and his mother have been through, she inspired him to be the person he is today, due to her being a strong willed woman.

“My mother is my biggest motivation and the person that I look up to because she’s always been able to accomplish things and overcome obstacles even when it’s hard,” said Romero.

Majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology, Romero said his calling is to be a listener, as he enjoys offering advice to others.

“Ever since I was in high school people have always come to me for help. I’m better at listening to others than I am talking about my own problems.”

Given his background, Romero prides himself in always giving back and doing good unto others, as he is actively involved in both student affairs and throughout the community.

He is a member of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (M.E.Ch.A.), currently serving in communications for the organization.

Every first Friday of the month, both he and members of M.E.Ch.A. participle in “junaleros,” which is when they prepare burritos and distribute them to day laborers, free of charge.

Romero has also volunteered at an elementary school in San Marcos to help students with reading; in addition to painting murals at Mountain Shadows with disabled students with the Tukwut Leadership Circle.

At the Tukwut Leadership Circle, Romero is a Peer Leader Mentor for 15 students.

“I really enjoy mentoring students and helping them with the program. I am able to enroll them, answer questions, offer advice and guide them with campus engagement as well as well as civic engagement,” he said.

Aside from all the time he pours into volunteering and community service, Romero enjoys spending time with friends but “prefers to help students,” as it is his passion in life and brings him joy.

Romero’s desire to help others in need is rooted from his home and values his mother instilled in him.

Due to his hard work and dedication, Romero will be the first student in his family to graduate from college. His end goal is to open a mental health hospital for people in need.

“All that is required for the world to be a better place is more people obtaining information about their surroundings and get out there to bring about change.”