Pause for Paws event to help relieve finals stress

Service dogs come to campus for student interaction, awareness

Tiffany Trent, Assistant Opinion Editor

Kellogg library has partnered up with “Love on a Leash,” a pet therapy organization, to bring over a dozen therapy dogs to campus for students and faculty to pet and interact with in order to lessen stress before finals.

Research has shown that petting an animal, dogs especially, can lessen stress, increase the hormone oxytocin and lower blood pressure levels and provide emotional support to people.

The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Dec. 10 in Kellogg Plaza in front of the third floor main library entrance. The dogs will be spaced out across the plaza in order to allow everyone room to visit them.

The dogs come in all different shapes, sizes and breeds, from Cocker Spaniels to Saint Bernards. All the therapy dogs are privately owned and trained to interact with people. Most owners will have free bookmarks to give away with a picture of their therapy dog on it.

For some more fun, if you post a selfie with a therapy dog on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #CSUSMLibrary you will be entered to win a variety of prizes.

In addition to the Pause for Paws event, there will be Health and Wellness’s Stress Less Relaxation Stations from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. the same day also in Kellogg Plaza. Stop by and decorate cookies, get a free massage, make some crafts and more.

Whether you are feeling the pressure of finals or just want a midday pick-me-up, stop by Kellogg Plaza and have some fun.

For more information, please visit the library website at www.biblio.csusm.edu.