Fire in University Student Union causes building evacuation

Student Alex Maravillas with his teriyaki bowl in front of the USU during the evacuation. Photo courtesy of Alex Maravillas and Marquessa Castorena.

Katlin Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief

Students and staff were ordered to evacuate the University Student Union building when a fire broke out in the USU dining court.

The fire alarm, which went off at 5:21 p.m., was triggered after a fire began in the Panda Express kitchen.

Alex Maravillas, Peer Educator at the LGBTQA Pride Center, was standing at the Panda Express counter when it started.

“I had just finished ordering my food and when I was about to pay, the kitchen behind the counter burst into flames,” Maravillas said. “Everyone was in awe, looking at the fire, and then suddenly, one of the [Panda Express] employees realized what was going on and turned on the fire alarm.”

Robin Simmons, a fourth year Psychology major, was one of the students who had to evacuate the USU during the alarm.

“I was pretty indifferent about the evacuation, even when I realized that it wasn’t a scheduled drill. Most of the fire drills that we have been through have prepared us for everything, so I know the campus would get us out safely [in an emergency],” Simmons said.

The alarm was triggered a second time at 5:51 p.m. but was cancelled moments later.

Campus officials are currently examining what started the fire and any damage done to the Panda Express kitchen. The dining area is currently closed off during the investigation. It is recommended that students avoid using the USU elevators for the time being.