Meet the Greeks

Jeffery Davis, Cody Cook

Sororities representatives (top) Left to right: Jacy Ann Fong, Angel DiMaria, Adelle Brophy, Tiffany Angel, Kayla Snow and Melanie Arteaga. / Fraternities representatives (bottom) Left to right: Nathan Contreras, Joshua Foronda, Dwaine Collier, Kariar Al-naiem, Andre Gatewood.

Andrea Martinez, Copy Editor

SORORITIES

Alpha Kappa Delta Phi

Philanthropy: Breast cancer awareness in partnership with Avon Breast Cancer Crusade

CSUSM charter date: May 2015

Number of members: 9

Member experience: President Jacy Ann Fong said members engage in a “premier network of innovative female leaders within the community.”

Challenging the Greek life stigma: The sorority serves the community and creates leaders through their members’ participation in “various educational workshops,” said Fong.

Alpha Xi Delta-Theta Rho

Philanthropy: Autism Speaks

CSUSM charter date: February 1995

Number of members: 101

Member experience: President Angel DiMaria said members prepare themselves for life after college through leadership skills acquired through their time with the sorority.

Challenging the Greek life stigma:… Greek life, Alpha Xi Delta in particular, is here to set an example and make a positive difference in campus life,” said DiMaria.

Alpha Omicron Pi – Theta Iota

Philanthropy: Sisters for Soldiers and juvenile arthritis

CSUSM charter date: May 2012

Number of members: 107

Member experience: “You’re surrounded by women who constantly support you and encourage you to exceed the expectations in all you do,” said President, Adelle Brophy.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: “We strive for personal and professional goals to better our community and our futures,” said Brophy.

Alpha Pi Sigma

Philanthropy: Cancer awareness

CSUSM charter date: 2001

Number of members: 22

Member experience: President Melanie Arteaga said members experience joy in sisterhood, pride in community service and are empathetic to sisters’ feelings and experiences.

Challenging the Greek life stigma:We demonstrate who we are and what Greek life is really about by living through our purposes to help mold us into professional and successful women,” said Arteaga.

Alpha Chi Omega

Philanthropy: Domestic violence awareness

CSUSM charter date: March 1995

Number of members: 115

Member experience: “Our members are not only student leaders on campus, but also community leaders,” said President Kayla Snow.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: The girls are proud of their academic achievements and the work they do for CSUSM. “The stigma of Greek life has never stopped this sisterhood from seeking the heights,” said Snow.

Delta Zeta

Philanthropy: Speech and hearing in partnership with the Starkey Foundation

CSUSM charter date: Set to be officially established April 2016.

Number of members: 45

Member experience: Members “can find many opportunities to become a leader on campus, in their families and in the community,” said President Tiffany Angel.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: “Our sisters work hard to make sure that everyone is included [with] all sisterhood events and on campus,” said Angel.

FRATERNITIES

Alpha Psi Rho

Philanthropy: Working with underprivileged youth

CSUSM charter date: February 2012

Number of members: 15

Member experience: “We live, breathe, eat and sleep: brotherhood, academics, prosperity, and strength,” said President Joshua Foronda.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: Foronda said the men seek to challenge the stigma of Greek life by promoting cultural awareness, specifically of Asian/Pacific Islander culture, and being non-discriminatory to any race, religion, sexual orientation or disability to any interested gentleman in joining [their] illustrious brotherhood.”

Nu Alpha Kappa

Philanthropy: Bone marrow drives and NAKland, an annual children’s carnival

CSUSM charter date: May 2012

Number of members: 6

Member experience: NAK brothers bring meaning to the term through their dedication to supporting one another and welcoming all cultures to their Latino-interest fraternity, according to President, Nathan Contreras.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: “We hope to challenge the stigma by creating a safe environment through events and have a positive impact at CSUSM and to the community around our school,” said Contreras.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Philanthropy: SAE partners with Susan G. Komen, the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, the North County Veterans Association, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Habitat for Humanity and Break the Silence Against Domestic Violence.

CSUSM charter date: April 1999

Number of members: 77

Member experience: “We try to maintain a healthy balance of business, brotherhood and fun within our fraternity, which is what helps our men have such a great experience within the fraternity,” said President Andre Gatewood.  

Challenging the Greek life stigma: Gatewood said they challenge the stigma through their philanthropic efforts.

Sigma Chi

Philanthropy: Huntsman Cancer Institution

CSUSM charter date: 2012 as a colony, 2015 as a chapter

Number of members: 42

Member experience: “We look for guys who are going to be leaders and are going to [challenge the Greek] stereotype,” said President Cristian McGough.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: The men of Sigma Chi seek to challenge the stigma through their philanthropic efforts, according to McGough and Vice President Austin Grajek.

Omega Psi Phi

Philanthropy: The American Red Cross, Ronald McDonald House, YMCA, tutoring and working with special needs students

CSUSM charter date: An interest group has been on campus since 2013 and has since been working to establish a chapter.

Number of members: 3

Member experience: “Our motto to our fraternity is ‘Friendship is essential to the soul,’ and we take that very seriously” said Dwaine Collier, a delegate for the fraternity.

Challenging the Greek life stigma: Collier said he hopes the community services and philanthropic related actions are publicized, rather than the stereotypical image of Greek partiers.