Office of Diversity to remain in Office of the President

President Haynes reverses previous decision

President Haynes speaking with campus community at diversity open forum on Wednesday, Feb. 10. Photo by Rhiannon Ripley, Editorial Assistant.

Jasmine Demers, Managing Editor

The Office of Diversity will remain in the Office of the President, reversing a decision to relocate the office to the Division of Community Engagement, President Haynes announced today.

The Feb. 11 announcement came following opposition from students, faculty and staff regarding Haynes’ original decision, announced on Feb. 1, to implement structural and leadership alterations within the Office of Diversity.

“While last week’s decision to move the Office of Diversity, Educational Equity, Inclusion and Ombuds Services (DEEIO) was intended to strengthen our diversity and inclusion efforts, I have listened and heard faculty, staff and student concerns voiced in multiple venues in recent days,” said Haynes.

Campus community members have engaged in protests for the last week and voiced concerns to President Haynes at an open dialogue held on Wednesday, Feb. 10. During the forum, students from the United Students of Color Coalition provided Haynes with a list of demands, which included the reversal of her decision to move the Office of Diversity and to reinstate former Associate Vice President of the Office of Diversity, Educational Equity, Inclusion and Ombuds Services, Arturo Ocampo.

In her statement, Haynes did not mention Ocampo but did say that “a national search for the Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer has been launched and should be completed before the end of the semester.”

Karen Guzmxn, student and leader of several rallies during the past week, provided a statement in response to President Haynes’ announcement.

“It’s a small step in the right direction, but there’s so much more we need. It’s not over,” said Guzmxn. “The office should not only be fully reinstated, but the position of ‘Associate’ VP should be promoted. There were a lot more demands students had, we’re meeting with the university to realize them. We will keep putting more pressure.”

In the meantime, Haynes said that the Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer will continue to report to her and will move forward in developing diversity efforts.

“My commitment and our campus-wide commitment to educational equity, diversity and inclusiveness are unwavering,” said Haynes. “For decades, hundreds of individuals across our campus community have championed diversity and inclusiveness. Our dedication to access, opportunity and success for all students is steadfast.

Any additional questions and concerns about diversity efforts at CSUSM can be sent to [email protected].