Perks Coffee House: New college hangout

Local coffee shop a staple for college students

Tiffany Trent, Opinion Editor

College life can be tiring and stressful, but sometimes, going off campus for coffee is the perfect and easy remedy for both fatigue and anxiety.

Less than a mile and a half away from campus is a cute and quaint little coffee shop called Perks Coffee House. It is relatively new, having opened less than a year ago. The shop is small, but has a lot of character and charm. The eclectic artwork and crystal chandelier add unique beauty and style to the shop’s interior, while the ambiance is quiet and friendly.

What makes this coffee shop a great place for college students is that it is an ideal spot for working on homework for a few hours or catching up with a friend. There are plenty of seats available as well as wall outlets to plug in a laptop or cell phone charger. To add some entertainment, every other Monday night, Perks hosts an open mic and live music night starting at 6 p.m.

Perks offers delicious beverages as well as a wide assortment of food. Their menu has a large variety of coffee, ranging from flat whites to americanos to mochas, all under $5. If you prefer tea, they’ve got plenty to choose from including a white coconut creme and an herbal french lemon ginger. A small teapot of hot tea will only cost you $3.

If you want something sweet to eat, there are lots of baked goods to choose from, such as muffins and cookies. They also have appetizing meals available such as açaí bowls, jalapeño mac and cheese, pizzas, etc.

Whether you need to grab a coffee before class, want to spend an afternoon unwinding by the fire pit or want a quiet place for writing your term paper, Perks Coffee House is a great place to visit near campus.

For more information, visit www.perks­coffee.com.