CSUSM Black Student Union prepares to celebrate student community leaders

Nicole Holman, Assistant News Editor

CSUSM’s Black Student Union (BSU) will be holding a night of recognition to honor the contributions of campus and community members to the organization.

The BSU Night of Recognition will take place at 8 p.m. on Feb. 23 in the USU Ballroom.

The event will feature faculty, staff, students and members of the community who will gather to celebrate and recognize the efforts and contributions of members of the BSU.

Though the Night of Recognition will be an opportunity for students to connect with faculty, staff and the community, it will also be an evening of celebrating the accomplishments of those who have supported the BSU.

Awards will be given to two departments for their continuous efforts in supporting the BSU, as well as to two BSU members for their volunteer efforts within the organization. Additionally, awards will be given to members of the community who have worked to uplift the black community.

The goal of this event is to have the members of BSU connect with the various faculty and staff that are making a change on campus and to make connections with those outside of our campus,” said BSU President Daniesha Thornton.

The BSU will be celebrating how far the student organization has come since its inception at CSUSM and looks forward to meeting future goals and inspiring future students.  

“The event will be impactful to the campus because it’s not often that we acknowledge … individuals on our campus for supporting an organization, and it will possibly give an incentive for students to participate and support a bigger cause,” said Thornton.

For more information on the BSU Night of Recognition event, contact [email protected] or drop by the Student Life and Leadership office in USU 3600.