UPD investigates alleged sexual assault at The Quad

NO More campaign encourages student education

Jeffrey Davis

Sexual assault affects 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men during their college careers.

Jasmine Demers, Managing Editor

The University Police Department (UPD) is currently investigating an alleged sexual assault of a female student at the Quad.

According to the campus wide alert that was sent out by the Office of Communications, the incident took place on the night of Wednesday, Feb. 24 and was reported to UPD on Tuesday, March 1.

The report states that the suspect is believed to be a white, 19 year old male, 6 feet 2 inches, 215 pounds, with dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. The suspect, who is reportedly known to the sexual assault survivor, is not a student at CSUSM and is not in custody at this time.

The report of this alleged sexual assault came just one week before CSUSM’s NO More Week of Action starting on Tuesday, March 7. NO More is a national campaign to end domestic violence and sexual assault on college campuses.

The recent report is a reminder that sexual assault affects everyone everywhere. We all need to be paying attention, taking responsibility for our culture on our campus and stepping in to do something,” said Christa Wencl, Sexual Violence Advocate and Educator at Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS). “These are messages within the NO More campaign. We need to move through our beliefs about victim blaming and rape culture to recognize when situations are unsafe and intervene.”

Along with hosting several events through the week, SHCS has also recently launched a photo campaign with various community members making statements about ways to challenge rape culture.

“Even by sending out the most recent timely warning, hopefully, that will help students connect with the reality of sexual assault and to invest in our community to help keep each other safe,” said Wencl. “The university has also been providing supplemental trainings to specialized student organizations throughout this year to include Resident Advisors, fraternities and sororities, club sports, student athletes and various student employees.”

Students who have experienced any type of sexual assault are encouraged to receive confidential support through CSUSM’s Sexual Violence Advocate and Educator, the Dean of Students Office, or Title IX Coordinator Bridget Blanshan.

“The first step in this process is ensuring a student feels safe, which involves discussing confidentiality. The university can offer and discuss options for no contact orders, restraining orders, police escorts and other plans for student safety,” said Wencl. “Students have a right to an advisor as well as to no longer participate in the process at any time or be retaliated against. In recognizing the potential impacts of trauma, the Dean’s office can also assist with academic remedies to support survivor’s access academic success.”

CSUSM asks that if anyone has any information pertaining to this or any other investigation that they contact University Police at (760) 750-4567 or the University’s SAFE hotline at 760-750-SAFE.